You are not logged in.

#1 2009-01-16 04:58:41

kaola_linux

Can't detect some wireless network using wicd

Hello
I have some problems using wicd on my Acer Aspire One...
At our school we have 3 wireless networks 2 of them are visible on wicd and the other one is not...I can confirm that the other wireless network is working for which my other friends can connect and see it properly...

I tried kismet recently and found out that it can see this wireless network...

So is this issue related to wicd or with my wireless card?

Thanks in advance

Netbook (Acer Aspire One 110 || 160gb SATA HD || 1.5gb ram): archlinux i686 / KDEmod 4.3
Registered Linux User # 481212 / Machine Registration # 390468
"In a world without walls and fences, who needs windows and gates?"

#2 2009-01-16 08:04:27

kludge

Re: Can't detect some wireless network using wicd

afaik, wicd shouldn't be any better or worse than anything else at picking up wireless signals.

that said, if you want to verify that it *isn't* wicd's problem, use iwlist to see the available networks.  they should correspond to wicd's list.

[23:00:16]    dr_kludge | i want to invent an olfactory human-computer interface, integrate it into the web standards, then produce my own forked browser.
[23:00:32]    dr_kludge | can you guess what i'd call it?
[23:01:16]    dr_kludge | nosilla.
[23:01:32]    dr_kludge | i really should be going to bed.  i'm giggling madly about that.

#3 2009-01-16 20:49:55

Mektub

kaola_linux wrote:

Hello
I have some problems using wicd on my Acer Aspire One...
At our school we have 3 wireless networks 2 of them are visible on wicd and the other one is not...I can confirm that the other wireless network is working for which my other friends can connect and see it properly...

I tried kismet recently and found out that it can see this wireless network...

So is this issue related to wicd or with my wireless card?

Thanks in advance

This is very curious, I just noticed it recently. I have a desktop with a Atheros Communications Inc. AR242x 802.11abg card,
and a portable toshiba with a Intel PRO/wireless 3945 ABG wireless card.

Both have also Window$ XP installed, but nowadays I rarely boot it. Howewer 5 days ago I noticed that both computers with
Arch detect the same 3 wireless networks (my neighboors and myself) (wifi-radar, archassistant), while booting from windows
it detects these 3 networks + 3 (one of them with 80% strength).

I tested this in different days and times of the day just out of curiosity, since my own network is detected, thats all I need.

I have no idea why.

Mektub

Follow me on twitter: https://twitter.com/johnbina

#4 2009-01-16 22:13:11

kludge

@Mektub:

your discrepancy is most likely between the windows driver and the linux driver.  i have an rtl8185-based belkin card.  the kernel provides rtl8180, but i can't see any of my neighbors' networks when i use it.  (i don't have one of my own :b )  so i use ndiswrapper and the windows driver, which picks up 2 - 4 networks based on time of day.

to check it out for yourself, try using the windows driver via ndiswrapper and see if you can see those other networks.

[23:00:16]    dr_kludge | i want to invent an olfactory human-computer interface, integrate it into the web standards, then produce my own forked browser.
[23:00:32]    dr_kludge | can you guess what i'd call it?
[23:01:16]    dr_kludge | nosilla.
[23:01:32]    dr_kludge | i really should be going to bed.  i'm giggling madly about that.

#5 2009-01-17 09:13:38

Mektub

kludge wrote:

@Mektub:

your discrepancy is most likely between the windows driver and the linux driver.  i have an rtl8185-based belkin card.  the kernel provides rtl8180, but i can't see any of my neighbors' networks when i use it.  (i don't have one of my own :b )  so i use ndiswrapper and the windows driver, which picks up 2 - 4 networks based on time of day.

to check it out for yourself, try using the windows driver via ndiswrapper and see if you can see those other networks.

Well, yes, that makes sense. I will give it a try on my laptop.

Thanks.

Mektub

Follow me on twitter: https://twitter.com/johnbina

Board footer