You are not logged in.

#1 2009-01-25 22:39:09

leftylink

Serious WPA Woes: Cannot authenticate, connections time out

Hey everyone,

I've been using Arch Linux on my laptop for a while, good stuff, I really like it. There's one problem that bugs me though, and it seems to be getting worse and worse, so I thought I'd ask for help.

I have trouble connecting to my home's wireless network. It's protected by WPA (1, not 2, for various reasons). Maybe 5% of the time, I can connect successfully, but the other times it fails.

I have tried both wicd and netcfg to connect. wicd, as I recall, would connect, then the log messages would say "WPA_CLI RESULT IS GROUP HANDSHAKE" for a while, and then it would fail, and say "WPA_CLI RESULT IS DISCONNECTED" and "wpa_supplicant authentication may have failed...". netcfg simply fails after a while, saying "wireless association failed".

I have tried both using the ascii and hex (from wpa_passphrase) keys in wicd, and for netcfg have my key in ascii in quotes in the config file (in short, I am reasonably sure my configurations of wicd and netcfg are correct)

My passphrase was randomly generated, and maybe some special characters cause problems in the wicd config file. Which special characters need to be escaped/whatnot?

My hardware isn't the problem, because I can connect to unsecured networks, and I connect without problems to the same WPA-protected network if I boot into Windows XP instead. lspci tends to detect my wireless card inconsistently, but it currently says

09:00.0 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation NetLink BCM5906M Fast Ethernet PCI Express (rev 02)
0c:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4312 802.11b/g (rev 01)

I use ndiswrapper currently to run my card (Gave up on b43 and b43-fwcutter because it didn't work when I tried it a few months ago, but if you suggest it I would be willing to give it another try)

Any insight into this problem would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: I don't know if this made a difference, but I didn't have ieee80211_crypt_ccmp in my modules. I added it hoping things would work better, but I am not sure if it had any effect. Does it make a difference? Any other kernel modules I need?

Last edited by leftylink (2009-01-26 01:50:14)

#2 2009-01-26 02:52:05

kjon

Re: Serious WPA Woes: Cannot authenticate, connections time out

as long as I've seen, the wpa_supplicant+ndiswrapper combo really woes. I got a few netsticks which require ndiswrapper to operate with linux, but is quite hard to associate them properly with wpa-capable AP.

My suggestion in this case would be to use a wpa_supplicant. conf like this one (the funny part of this was I had an horrible struggle with my ap last night...)

/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf

network={
    ssid="your ssid"
    scan_ssid=0
    proto=WPA
    key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
    group=TKIP
    pairwise=TKIP
    psk="yoursupercoolpassword"
}

for wpa1, that conf should do the trick. If you still experience difficulties, try to reset the driver with iwpriv 'your_device' ndis_reset=1

luck!

They say that if you play a Win cd backward you hear satanic messages. That's nothing! 'cause if you play it forwards, it installs windows.

Board footer