You are not logged in.

#1 2004-08-24 15:23:12

speedster
Website

Slow Network

My wife and I are having a problem with Internet browsing, webmail and POP downloaded email.  I haven't ever had this problem under FreeBSD, Gentoo or other distros, so I'm confident that I have some setting set wrong.  I have tried various browsers and email programs with the same results.   Here's the problem:

When accessing some websites, the browser (firefox, though I've tried numerous others) takes a long, long time to render the page.  Webmail is almost unusable (which my wife likes to use, unfortunately).  I would think that it's the ISPs fault, but under Windows all sites are fast, including these particular ones.  We have DSL and the speed is usually great.  I've reset the modem, but still to no avail.  I have done all the about:config firefox tweaks I can find (including disabling IPV6), but no difference.  I've also recompiled my kernel several times as well.

Any help would be appreciated.

#2 2004-08-24 15:37:03

freakyc

Re: Slow Network

The disabling IPV6 thing is for Firefox taking a long time to resolve, so if that is what is happening, it should sit there saying that's it's trying to resolve in the bottom left of Firefox.  Other non-mozilla based browsers shouldn't be affected by it though.  But just in case, when I had that problem, nothing worked for me except completely taking ipv6 support out of the kernel.

It doesn't sound like that's your problem though.  Can you tell if it's your network card getting bad speeds?  Maybe see what speeds you get off a usually good FTP or something?

And if it's really just poor rendering, I imagine it would help to know if you're using Firefox from the repos, or the downloaded version.  And what version you are using.

#3 2004-08-24 16:03:05

i3839

Re: Slow Network

Make sure you have good DNS servers in /etc/resolv.conf. Try pinging some servers, that's a good way to see how long it takes to do DNS resolving.

Board footer