You are not logged in.

#1 2009-01-27 01:13:40

marcr

Applications sending ipv6 dns queries, but ipv6 is disabled

Hi,

I had some problems with dns lookups a long time ago and so I followed every hint I could find here in the forums and the wiki, like disabling ipv6, installing dnsmasq, and so on. Firefox and other typical internet applications worked like a charm after that.

Pacman instead took a long time to lookup the ip for the chosen mirror url, but I didn't bother to look deeper into this issue, until now.

Wireshark revealed that the dns query that is sent by pacman (and some other console applications like w3m, wget, but not lynx ...) is an AAAA query for an ipv6 address. In spite of ipv6 being disabled.
Additionally my router (which is added in /etc/resolv.conf) ignores the query, it times out, and after 5 seconds, the AAAA query is sent again.

This happens 4 times and then a query for the A record is sent which is answered promptly.
(A simple "w3m google.com" takes up to 1min 20sec with all the lookups following the 301 and 302 answers...)

Well, a workaround for this is obvious. I could use a nameserver that answers the AAAA query, which I already tried with the opendns server.

But the question that I have is: Why are some applications sending dns queries for ipv6 addresses although ipv6 is disabled?

Regards,
Marc

Board footer