You are not logged in.

#1 2009-01-28 10:53:59

dying_sphynx
Website

[announce] tool for selecting network from console (netcfg-based)

Hi all!

I'm happy to announce new 'wifi-select' tool for selecting networks "in real-time" (in NetworkManager manner). I heard on the forums there were requests for such a tool from the users of netcfg. The tool is convinient for use in wifi-cafe or another places you are visiting first (and maybe last) time. Then you don't need to create the file-profile for a new network, just type 'sudo wifi-select eth1' and choose the network you need.

The tool is currently packaged and available in AUR (yaourt -S wifi-select).

It works as follows:
- parses 'iwlist scan' and presents list of networks along with its security settings (wpa/wep/none) using 'dialog'.
- if user selects network with existing profile -- just use this profile to connect with 'netcfg'.
- if user selects a new network (for example network from wifi-cafe he currently visited), net-select automatically generates new profile with corresponding $SECURITY and asks for the key (if needed). It uses DHCP as $IP by default.
- then, if connection succeeds, profile is saved for later usage.
- if connection fails, user is asked if he/she wants to keep generated profile for further usage (for example to change $IP to static or adjust some additional options).

Parsing of 'iwlist' output is done using AWK script (this seems to be clearer than grep+sed in my case). I've put it under /usr/lib/network (where netcfg .subr-files are located).

I sent the scripts to James Rayner aka iphitus (maintainer of netcfg), he was interested and suggested to package the tool in AUR and if there would be some attention and interest -- he would package it in extra.

So, I'm waiting for your feedback and questions.

[crossposted in 'Community contributions': http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=63973]

Thank you!

With best regards,
Ivan N. Veselov.

Last edited by dying_sphynx (2009-01-28 11:03:30)

With best regards,
Ivan N. Veselov.

#2 2009-01-28 11:06:12

Allan
Pacman
Website

Re: [announce] tool for selecting network from console (netcfg-based)

Board footer