You are not logged in.

#1 2009-01-29 22:23:44

T2manner

Is Arch right for me?

I'm currently using Ubuntu.
I switched from Windows to Linux bout 9 months ago.
The main reason I want to switch to Arch is because it is said to be much more simple and lightweight, which is exactly what I want.
I'm not very good with the terminal and shell, but I'm willing to do some extra learning if I need to for Arch.
I'm slowly getting into computer programming too.

#2 2009-01-29 22:25:59

Ashren
Website

Re: Is Arch right for me?

If you're willing to learn you're on the right track. Check out the beginners guide and see if it makes any sense. http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Beginners_Guide

#3 2009-01-29 22:27:48

lucke

Seems like a proper next step if you do want to delve deeper into the Linux world. As long as you're willing to do some reading and learning, you should be a-OK and possibly very happy.

#4 2009-01-29 22:30:07

soupcan

T2manner wrote:

I'm currently using Ubuntu.
I switched from Windows to Linux bout 9 months ago.
The main reason I want to switch to Arch is because it is said to be much more simple and lightweight, which is exactly what I want.
I'm not very good with the terminal and shell, but I'm willing to do some extra learning if I need to for Arch.
I'm slowly getting into computer programming too.

I've only been using Linux for about 3 months now, and I'd say that Arch is fine for anyone with some Linux-know how. You might have a little trouble in the beginning, but nothing you won't be able to fix. You've got nothing to lose, why not try it?

As for speed: I rarely use my Ubuntu install anymore because it's so slow in comparison to Arch, and I've given up on ever turning my windows box again.

#5 2009-01-29 22:35:18

ozar

Welcome to the forums!  smile

Is Arch right for me?

If you have to ask, then you don't know.

If you don't know, then you haven't tried it.

I'd recommend getting after it, and having fun with it... best of luck!  cool

oz

#6 2009-01-30 00:11:57

pointone
Wiki Admin

An equivalent question: Do I like ice cream?

How do you expect us to answer that? Just try it! With VirtualBox et. al., distro-hopping has never been easier.

M*cr*s*ft: Who needs quality when you have marketing?

#7 2009-01-30 00:57:55

weasel8

Is Arch right for me?

You've got to be kidding me. This is the 37,529th thread like this. If you honestly don't know after doing some actual research, then no.

EDIT: You know, I'm sorry, but really - we can't make this decision for you. Read the wiki, read the forums, search Google for reviews. Ultimately, you just need to try it for yourself. Why not have a look at Virtualbox or something? Then you can see if you're comfortable in Arch. But it's impossible for someone else to make the decision for you.

Last edited by weasel8 (2009-01-30 02:51:27)

#8 2009-01-30 01:02:03

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

I just gave Arch to my brother in law who hasn't used Linux in a very very long time. He had dabbled in it when Red Hat Linux was the only known name and that too was CLI only. Given he has knowledge about computers but mostly in Windows. So what I am saying is, as long as you are not averse to doing a bit of research and following instructions then Arch is for you.

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#9 2009-01-30 02:23:59

rok3

Make sure that you have a 2nd PC available so that you can hop on the wiki or forums should something go wrong.  If you're genuinely interested in learning more about linux and don't mind getting your hands dirty then there's a good chance you'll enjoy Arch.

#10 2009-01-30 02:33:18

Ghost1227
Forum Fellow
Website

pointone wrote:

An equivalent question: Do I like ice cream?

How do you expect us to answer that? Just try it! With VirtualBox et. al., distro-hopping has never been easier.

True, but once you try Arch, are you really that likely to keep hopping?

weasel8 wrote:

Is Arch right for me?

You've got to be kidding me. This is the 37,529th thread like this. If you honestly don't know after doing some actual research, then no.

In your opinon. And If you're going to be a condescending ass about it, than keep your opinion to yourself.

On the flip side of that, T2manner, weasel8 is technically correct. A quick search of the forums would have brought you a plethora of information on the subject at hand. I'll assume you didn't search because it just didn't occur to you (shit happens, oh well) and point you to the search page for future reference.

I hope that you decide to at least give us a decent shot, and I guarantee that once you get past the initial anticipation and hesitations, you'll grow to love Arch as much as the rest of us do. If you do have issues, the Beginners Guide and wiki are great resources, as are the forums. If you have further difficulties, feel free to stop by our room on IRC (if you don't know how to get there, read this).

Best of luck and let me know what happens!

.:[My Blog] || [My GitHub]:.

#11 2009-01-30 02:55:56

weasel8

In your opinon. And If you're going to be a condescending ass about it, than keep your opinion to yourself.

Ok, I apologize. As you can tell, this sort of thing just gets on my nerves. If a distro appeals to you, try it out in a virtualbox or separate partition. If you like it, keep it. The only way I can really answer a question like "Is Arch right for me?" is to say, "Well, I dunno. If you like it, then yeah." We have lots of information at your disposal to figure out if it sounds like something you'd like to do/be able to do.

#12 2009-01-30 03:01:43

Ghost1227
Forum Fellow
Website

weasel8 wrote:

Ok, I apologize. As you can tell, this sort of thing just gets on my nerves. If a distro appeals to you, try it out in a virtualbox or separate partition. If you like it, keep it. The only way I can really answer a question like "Is Arch right for me?" is to say, "Well, I dunno. If you like it, then yeah." We have lots of information at your disposal to figure out if it sounds like something you'd like to do/be able to do.

Much better! See, that's the kind of support we like to see! While the answer is out there somewhere (isn't it always), some people need a push in the right direction. With the kind of logic you initially used, every question on the forums should be answered with a simple jfgi and no one would ever get anywhere!

.:[My Blog] || [My GitHub]:.

#13 2009-01-30 03:09:59

Xyne
Administrator/PM
Website

Ghost1227 wrote:

With the kind of logic you initially used, every question on the forums should be answered with a simple jfgi and no one would ever get anywhere!

Does anyone else find it funny that jfgi is on lojban's main server?

*goes off to check if there's a google page in lojban yet*

My Arch Linux StuffForum EtiquetteCommunity Ethos - Arch is not for everyone

#14 2009-01-30 08:00:17

Runiq

Xyne wrote:

Does anyone else find it funny that jfgi is on lojban's main server?

*goes off to check if there's a google page in lojban yet*

I always thought Lojban was one of the languages you could do your searches in with google.

*goes looking*

...I'm wrong. sad Shame on me.

#15 2009-02-01 09:06:28

vertana

I switched from Ubuntu somewhat effortlessly. I had trouble with dhcp at first, but the Beginner's documentation on this website is great! It will guide you the entire way to a working box with whatever you need. From there, anything else you need is just a Google search away. As a side note, the speed difference in Ubuntu and Arch is simply amazing. I felt it in KDE 4.2 right away. Good luck smile

Board footer