You are not logged in.

#1 2009-01-31 02:24:21

Ssurno

Quick help with dual booting

I have hopped around on different distros and I found that Archlinux would be the best solution for me.  However, I need help with dual booting Archlinux and Vista as I will need Vista around for one program and a game that do not work with any Linux distro that I have tried.  I have not done a text based install before, I have only used newbie distros but I want to move on to Archlinux. 

I will only need one partition for Vista and one for Arch.  I believe I can achieve the goal of dual booting them by shrinking the vista partition, and then installing Arch in the remaining space and use GRUB to boot the necessary partitions when my laptop is powered on.  This works with Ubuntu, so I assume it shall be the same basic concept with Arch.  I can follow the instructions on installing, and the installation is easier than I had expected it to be.  I have one question, how would I go about using the above technique that I mentioned during the install?  I would like to know how to do it correctly, I cannot risk messing up Vista.  I'm fifteen and my dad would be very frustrated if I did mess up Vista.  I would appreciate some specific instructions, because I really like Arch from what I have read.  I also look forward to being an active member in the community as well if all goes well.

#2 2009-01-31 04:34:49

pyther
Website

Re: Quick help with dual booting

Welcome!

Another young one I see! I'm currently 17, however I started using linux when I was 13 (8th grade year).

You can resize the vista partition by using gparted. You can download the gparted livecd from there website (http://gparted.sourceforge.net/download.php). I do not know specific directions, but it is pretty obvious how to resize, and if you need help you can probably google something like "resize partition gparted". I WARN YOU that you do risk data loss resizing the partition. I don't believe the risk is high, but it still there, so backup any important data that you may have in case something goes wrong!!

Do you have your own computer that you can experiment on? That might be a safe option than using your dads. I am been fortunate to have hand-me-down systems, but when I was young I made my dad angry quite a few times "experimenting!" tongue

If your dad's system has enough juice, you may want to consider install arch in a virtual machine to get idea of however thing works. Following the Beginners Guide on the wiki will be you best bet for a successful and well configured machine (http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Beginners_Guide). If you really want to play it safe you can even go as far as install windows in a virtual machine, resizing the partition, and installing arch in the same virtual machine.

I hate to say this, but if you absolutely can not mess up vista, I would advice against installing any other OS and messing with the partition scheme. As whenever you mess with the partitions you run a risk of messing up Vista (or any other os for that matter). If you don't already have your own computer which you can tinker with, it might not be a bad idea to look at getting one. They are becoming cheap, you can build one for about $300-$400USD, or buy one for probably around $400.

Hope this helps a bit...

Website - Blog - arch-home
Arch User since March 2005

#3 2009-01-31 05:39:21

Ranguvar

*raised fist for teen Archers* (16)

I would definitely build a PC of my own. I built my first at 10 (it's cake), and my current system last year. Core 2 Quad Q6600, NVIDIA 9600GT, 6GB of RAM, case, power supply, 24" monitor (G2400WD), 500GB hard drive, and double-layer DVD drive, all for what would be about $800 now I think. It was when I did it, I added on the monitor and 4GB of RAM later. You can get a _really_ nice system for cheap these days. I'd get my own PC more to be able to have my own PC, though tongue

It is very possible to dual-boot Arch and Vista, though, with minimal risk. Resizing NTFS partitions is old hat with GParted, and worst case you can always recover the Vista MBR and get rid of GRUB with the Vista install CD and fixboot + fixmbr. Google for more info on the whole thing.

On actually using Vista, though, make sure your game not only doesn't work in Wine, but doesn't work in VMware 6.5's new DirectX support, which will likely slowly get better and appear in free solutions like VirtualBox.

#4 2009-01-31 06:00:43

u_no_hu

These kids wink ....

@Ssurno
It is always better to resize vistas built in partitioner to resize the partitions. Shrink the current vista partition and create a new partition in the free space. The you can use arch partitioner to create the required partitions for arch. Dont go for automatic partitioning and you will be safe. And in case you mess it up be sure to have the vista disk so that you can repair it. And it would be nice to have 3 partitions for arch...root,swap and a home. Just follow the beginners guide and you will do great.

Welcome to arch ...... smile

Don't be a HELP VAMPIRE. Please search before you ask.

Subscribe to The Arch Daily News.

#5 2009-01-31 15:15:44

Ssurno

I forgot to mention that the laptop is mine and not my dad's.  Sorry about not making that clear.  I have used virtualbox and I think I get the general idea of how  everything works.  I'll try shrinking the Vista partition with its built in manager, and then I'll create the three Arch partitions.  Hopefully I'll get it right.  Is there anything else I should know?

Last edited by Ssurno (2009-01-31 15:17:16)

#6 2009-01-31 16:23:03

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

I would suggest you create the following partitions

/ (root) - Ext3
/home - Ext3
/var - -Reiserfs (NOT Reiser4)
/boot - Ext2
swap
/commonDataBetweenVistaAndLinux - Ext3

To get more info on why to choose the said filesystems for the partitions refer to the following thread

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#7 2009-02-01 14:33:01

Ssurno

Okay, thanks I appreciate it.

#8 2009-02-01 15:15:10

viga

You can only have 4 primary partitions.  Be sure your 4th partition is an extended partition if you are planning on having more than 4 partitions.  The new G-parted cd is very good.  You can go to Distrowatch and get it from there.

Board footer