You are not logged in.

#1 2009-02-02 11:41:15

becho4

Recomendations for PCI Wireless board

Hi,

I'm planning to add a wireless PCI card to 3 desktop computers at home. I run only Arch in all of them.

I'm mainly worried about by compatibility with Arch. What board would you recomend?

Thanks
smile

#2 2009-02-02 13:02:33

ckristi

Re: Recomendations for PCI Wireless board

If it's Arch on 32bit you'll manage to get windows drivers work through ndiswrapper, if there's no support in the kernel. If 64bit I'll recommend you to stick with boards that have kernel support. I had successfuly installed pci boards (from trendnet) with ATH500x (54Mbps) chipset (kernel module ath5k). I also got working a board with Ralink chipset (300Mbps), through ndiswrapper, with the windows drivers that come on the board's cd. Configuring the connection is a little bit tougher, but with the help of network-manager I think you'll manage to do it quickly. There's a modified network-manager by the Pardus Linux team, as the result of an effort at the Google Summer of Code, that makes the life of configuring wired and wireless networks even easier. But i didn't see those pacthes integrated in another distro as of now.
Also, some other supported chipsets should be Intel ones (and they're known about their openness towards Linux driver development). But I don't have experience with those chips, so I'm not able to advise you about them.

Happy Linux-ing!

Update: Sorry, the chipset on the 300Mbps board was mistakenly attributed to Atheros. It is a RALINK chipset. I updated my previous comment.

Last edited by ckristi (2009-02-02 13:13:14)

In love I believe and in Linux I trust

Board footer