You are not logged in.

#1 2009-02-03 00:03:27

vertana

[SOLVED]X doesn't restart with Control + Alt + Backspace?

I'm using the latest X, KDE 4.2, and NVIDIA 173 drivers (With the Nvidia 6150 LE Graphics Card) all from extra, and I'm logging in using inittab to cut straight into KDM. The only thing that doesn't work as expected is when I press the command keys to restart X, it dies and reverts to tty1 (where I can login, but it's fairly annoying that this happens). Does anybody have any ideas what may be causing this? Is there a configuration I'm missing somewhere maybe?

Last edited by vertana (2009-02-04 01:24:03)

#2 2009-02-03 00:35:10

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

Re: [SOLVED]X doesn't restart with Control + Alt + Backspace?

vertana wrote:

I'm using the latest X, KDE 4.2, and NVIDIA 173 drivers (With the Nvidia 6150 LE Graphics Card) all from extra, and I'm logging in using inittab to cut straight into KDM. The only thing that doesn't work as expected is when I press the command keys to restart X, it dies and reverts to tty1 (where I can login, but it's fairly annoying that this happens). Does anybody have any ideas what may be causing this? Is there a configuration I'm missing somewhere maybe?

Your bash profile probably has a "logout" if and when you kill X. Post your .bash_profile.

Yet another thing could be, ...do you have kdm listed in the DAEMONS array in rc.conf? if you don't restart it, killing X will take you to tty

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#3 2009-02-03 00:43:35

vertana

I do not have kdm running as a daemon. It's invoked once when I reach run level 5. So would it be more efficient (CPU and RAM wise) to add a kdm line in my .bash_profile (is it runs kdm when I kill X) or would I need to run kdm as a daemon?

#4 2009-02-03 00:45:36

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

vertana wrote:

I do not have kdm running as a daemon. It's invoked once when I reach run level 5. So would it be more efficient (CPU and RAM wise) to add a kdm line in my .bash_profile (is it runs kdm when I kill X) or would I need to run kdm as a daemon?

running it as a daemon is always preferable. Plus point is that you can have it run in the background, so as not to delay your bootup

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#5 2009-02-03 00:56:34

Misfit138
Misfit Emeritus

Does your /etc/inittab include the respawn option?

x:5:respawn:/usr/bin/kdm -nodaemon

#6 2009-02-03 00:59:12

Ranguvar

Inxsible wrote:

running it as a daemon is always preferable. Plus point is that you can have it run in the background, so as not to delay your bootup

From the Wiki (and I agree): The inittab method is recommended for various reasons, one being that it will allow you to boot directly into framebuffer mode from GRUB. This is an advantage should the graphics driver crash in X, for example, you would not be forced to fix your system from a live cd or through other needlessly complex means.

From what I understand, OP, that's perfectly normal behavior (Ctrl+Alt+Bkspc is to kill X, not restart, and now there is no login manager). I'm not sure how best to go about making it re-enter the login manager... if you don't need any of the above, go ahead and make it a daemon. Personally, I just use a customized text login and screw the GUI login manager (there's threads on this) tongue

#7 2009-02-03 01:14:57

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

Ranguvar wrote:
Inxsible wrote:

From the Wiki (and I agree): The inittab method is recommended for various reasons, one being that it will allow you to boot directly into framebuffer mode from GRUB. This is an advantage should the graphics driver crash in X, for example, you would not be forced to fix your system from a live cd or through other needlessly complex means.

From what I understand, OP, that's perfectly normal behavior (Ctrl+Alt+Bkspc is to kill X, not restart, and now there is no login manager). I'm not sure how best to go about making it re-enter the login manager... if you don't need any of the above, go ahead and make it a daemon. Personally, I just use a customized text login and screw the GUI login manager (there's threads on this) tongue

Hmm... Thanks for the info.

I just checked my inittab and it respawns xdm-- I guess that was default since I havent changed it. I don't use any graphical login manager. A simple xinit is good for me. So in that case, what will it respawn? I don't think I have xdm installed either

Forum Rules

#8 2009-02-03 01:33:32

vertana

Thank for the information everyone! I guess I was spoiled using Ubuntu (one of the reasons I'm used to a GUI login); I got used to restarting X with the above key combination. I think for now I'll use a daemon, but I'll try to find a more effecient way soon smile

Board footer