You are not logged in.

#1 2009-02-04 08:22:53

antis

Hide directory and files when using SFTP?

Hi,

When using vsftpd there is an option to hide files or directories that matches a certain pattern in the variable hide_files.
Can something similar be achieved when using SFTP/SSH?

Want I want to do is to let people log in to a chrooted directory where everything is hidden. Once logged in the users can upload files, and download files that they know the exact name of.

So... can this be done or do I have to switch from sftp to a regular ftp server?

Last edited by antis (2009-02-04 12:59:25)

#2 2009-02-04 22:56:15

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

Re: Hide directory and files when using SFTP?

seems like an odd requirement.
That said, maybe webdav (over https) would be a better solution for your needs than sftp?
You can configure apache to not allow directory listing, etc.

note: I detest ftp. horribly bad protocol. guh.
http://cactuswax.net/articles/just-say-no-to-ftp.txt

Last edited by cactus (2009-02-04 22:56:47)

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

#3 2009-02-05 08:04:55

antis

Yes, the requirement is a little bit odd, I agree smile
But I wanted an effortless way to share files with customers in a dump and grab sort of way. This way I could hand out one account to all customers to share and with the hiding-thing they wouldn't see files that others have uploaded. And I could give them an absolute address to a file that I want them to download.

The security is of course next to zero, but it doesn't have to be better than this. The most important thing is that it is simple and easy to use.

I will look into webdav and see if that might be an option for this. Thanks!

Last edited by antis (2009-02-05 08:05:47)

#4 2009-02-05 08:23:17

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

ahh.. well if you are supporting customers, then maybe an install of vsftp might be a better way to go (much as I hate to say it).
Most general consumers (not sure of your target demographic) aren't overly savvy, and you wouldn't necessarily want them to jump through lots of hoops. If security isn't a concern, then it may be the path of least resistance.

Good luck!

Last edited by cactus (2009-02-05 08:24:00)

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

Board footer