You are not logged in.

#1 2004-08-30 00:56:17

halus

0.7-base, pppoe nano

Hi

Just installed Arch Linux on my old p2.
It was a nice install, without problems, and have a Linux system along with Windows XP ( Which is way to heavy for my old machine ( installed Arch Linux to get a fast an light system)).
Then the trouble starts. I cannot get into internet, and therefor I cant use pacman to install any programs to my Arch system. My Arch system is very boring right now.

First I tried to find the rp-pppoe pack, as suggested in some manual. But did not found it. Maybe I need internet to install it?
Then I found an old router, which dial up the adsl-modem by itself. I found the /etc/rc.conf -file. The Idea was to set eth0 to "dhcp", and hope.... But I could not find nano, even though I am sure I used it during installation. I found "vi" but I don't understand it at all. I managed to insert the text I wanted (yes: the insert button), but I can not save the document.

Suggestion:
Put rp-pppoe and nano in the base-install, delete vi if possible.

#2 2004-08-30 04:12:53

rasat
Forum Fellow
Website

Re: 0.7-base, pppoe nano

halus wrote:

Suggestion:
Put rp-pppoe and nano in the base-install

I agree. Strange nano is not included when it can be used during installation to edit system files.

Markku

#3 2004-08-30 04:29:42

xerxes2
Website

To save in vim do like this:

<ESC>:wq<ENTER>  big_smile

you must also start it as root using the "su" command.

arch + gentoo + initng + python = enlisy

#4 2004-08-30 07:08:04

Xentac
Forum Fellow
Website

If you want these on the base install cd, you should probably submit a bug report.  I doubt that vi/vim will be removed from anywhere anytime soon.

I have discovered that all of mans unhappiness derives from only one source, not being able to sit quietly in a room
- Blaise Pascal

Board footer