You are not logged in.

#1 2009-02-08 04:58:47

ctarwater

LXpanel / Openbox - create shortcut to specific location?

Hi all,

I'm running LXDE and even after reading what limited documentation I can find on it I can't for the life of me figure out how to create a shorcut to a specific folder and put it on my panel.

I've edited fstab to automount my media harddrive under /mnt because I don't want it on my desktop.  I would however like easy access to the music folder in it by placing a link to it on my panel.

I know LXpanel is still in the early stages and has it's limits, but I'd like to at least know if it's  a possibility.

Thanks!

#2 2009-02-08 08:03:32

moljac024

Re: LXpanel / Openbox - create shortcut to specific location?

How about "pcmanfm /path/to/folder" ?
Or, replace pcmanfm by whatever file manager you use

The day Microsoft makes a product that doesn't suck, is the day they make a vacuum cleaner.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
But if they tell you that I've lost my mind, maybe it's not gone just a little hard to find...

#3 2009-02-08 15:45:15

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

I don't use lxpanel so I wouldn't know how to add it there but yeah your openbox could do the same. just add a keybinding to your rc.xml and you can have a keyboard shortcut. Change the shortcut to whatever you want 

<keybind key="W-f">
      <action name="Execute">
        <startupnotify>
          <enabled>true</enabled>
          <name>pcmanfm</name>
        </startupnotify>
        <command>pcmanfm /path/to/folder</command>
      </action>
    </keybind>

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#4 2009-02-08 18:12:34

Hrod beraht

pcmanfm /path/to/folder
put the command in a .desktop file (like all the other program shortcuts on lxpanel)

Bob

Last edited by Hrod beraht (2009-02-08 18:13:44)

#5 2009-02-09 17:01:16

ctarwater

Awesome, thanks for the help.

I love actually figuring out how things work - I'm actually loving the excuse to play with config files rather than just clicking through a GUI.

#6 2009-02-09 20:05:41

ctarwater

Okay, round 2.

I've got the button now and it works but I can't seem to get the icon to show up.
I've tried editing the .desktop file so that  Icon=/location/of/icon/.png but I tried restarting X as well as my computer and my icon doesn't show.

Any ideas?

*********edit**************

I got it figured out.
The icon needs to be placed in /usr/share/pixmaps

for example, I'm using the XBMC icon named xbmc.png and once it's in the right place I can make the .desktop file point to it like:

Icon=xbmc.png

Last edited by ctarwater (2009-02-09 22:18:11)

Board footer