You are not logged in.

#1 2009-02-09 07:14:33

Mr Green
Forum Fellow
Website

Snippits text replacement ....

I have been interested in an app called Snippits

http://ben.kudria.net/code/snippits

Now not had much luck getting it working, the Ben the developer has been a great help but I would like to be able to help him

If anyone has used Snippits or is willing to test it under KDE [as I use Gnome!] post here if it works for you

Would very much like to help him develop this app I know a little Ruby [emphasis on little!] so I can sort of understand code

Any of you coders out there can help me understand text replacement ie clipboard cutting and pasting? [Ruby!]

Or even if you think its of any use to you

MrG

Mr Green

#2 2009-02-09 07:34:40

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

Re: Snippits text replacement ....

I have dabbled in Ruby as well. I have not used the app per se, but let me check out the dependencies and such.... I use Openbox and fluxbox.

Could be an interesting job to handle Ruby and also try and help out the community.

In short....I am in !

I just checked it out....only dependencies seem to be ruby and aspell. The app looks quite interesting. Although it tries to be a auto-completiong software, spellchecker and a dictionary(sort of). Will check it out in detail later....its 2:45 am and I need to hit the sack.

Last edited by Inxsible (2009-02-09 07:44:24)

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#3 2009-02-09 10:24:49

Procyon

That sounds pretty cool.

In pyfmii I implemented tab-completion that has some similarities.

Get the current word, divide in path/filename, get a filelist of the path and match it to the part of the filename you typed. If there are multiple matches they are displayed, and if there is only one match replace the filename with an escaped version.

It was a lot of bug fixing, but it was quite fun and the result is pretty nice.

#4 2009-02-09 12:26:42

kazuo
Website

I loved the concept! Gonna try it ^_^.

#5 2009-02-09 15:51:51

Mr Green
Forum Fellow
Website

Some links that may help

http://lifehacker.com/351285/automate-r … h-snippits

I am not fully up to speed on how linux deals with clipboard .... need to find input stream [sorry for my non tech terms!] hit hotkey and then check for word in snippits list

A snippit is basically a named file that contains the text to replace...would a single config file be a better way to go?

example the file em would contain:

myemail@address.com

on typing em in a editor you would then hit your hotkey the text [em] would be removed then replaced with myemail@address.com

Any input would be welcome

Mr Green

Board footer