You are not logged in.

#26 2009-02-21 17:07:01

R00KIE
Forum Fellow

Re: Is gamin working properly for you?

I do use what used to be xfce4-terminal it seems (needed to do a symlink to get it to work under pcmanfm, thats another bug I guess as it is called terminal now it seems). I do use vim mostly when I use ssh to login to remote machines to do quick checks on config files so it doesn't apply. Locally I mostly use medit (which didn't work so well with gamin lately until the latest change to the PKGBUILD not to rely on fam/gamin).
But I have been using this terminal and pcmanfm and thunar and I haven't been able to replicate the problem I have seen before (sneaky bug this one).

R00KIE
Tm90aGluZyB0byBzZWUgaGVyZSwgbW92ZSBhbG9uZy4K

#27 2009-02-21 17:31:12

Anarconda

No, you are not alone in the universe big_smile

To me the problem comes from pcmanfm. I'm using pcmanfm-svn and suffering this for a while, in the beginning was a real problem but now is going better (new versions seems to be a better work).

How to reproduce the problem? Well there's two ways to get it:

1. Renaming directories.
2. Deleting directories with big files inside. In my case, three or four directories with a movie and subtitle files inside (sometimes happens with empty directories).

I hope this help.

Scientia et sapientia patrimonium humanitatis sunt.

#28 2009-02-21 17:38:09

skottish
Forum Fellow

This is a bigger issue than just pcmanfm. As I've said more than once in this thread, pcmanfm has behaved properly with gamin up until recently. It's been my file manger for well over a year and this is just creeping in. It started around the time that gamin was upgraded. So who gets the bug report? Not Arch, that's for sure. The question then is, is it a pcmanfm, kernel (inotify), or gamin bug?

#29 2009-02-21 17:48:27

Anarconda

Let me insist: to me is pcmanfm. When, some weeks ago, I used KDE 4.2 the problem didn't exist.

By the way, my system has testing repo enabled and is always fully updated.

Scientia et sapientia patrimonium humanitatis sunt.

#30 2009-02-21 18:06:53

skottish
Forum Fellow

Anarconda wrote:

Let me insist: to me is pcmanfm. When, some weeks ago, I used KDE 4.2 the problem didn't exist.

By the way, my system has testing repo enabled and is always fully updated.

Fair enough. Let's start there:

https://sourceforge.net/tracker2/?func= … tid=801864

#31 2009-02-22 21:24:37

adamlau

Stripped gamin 0.1.10  and thunar 0.9.99.1 (svn) builds solved these anoyances for me (not much to strip from pcmanfm, so I used the repo version):

gamin 0.1.10

--disable-static --disable-docs --disable-gtk-doc --disable-inotify --disable-dnotify --disable-kqueue --disable-hurd_mach_notify --with-threads --without-html-dir --without-python

thunar 0.9.99.1

--disable-static --disable-gnome-thumbnailers --enable-debug=no --disable-apr-plugin --disable-exif --disable-sbr-plugin --disable-pcre --disable-tpa-plugin --disable-wallpaper-plugin --without-x  --without-locales-dir --without-html-dir

Not sure what the root cause(s) was, but removed as much as I could in an attempt to circumvent thunar/pcmanfm/gamin annoyances (fam would hang thunar every so often, slow deletes and updates with pcmanfm + gamin from repos). Seems to have worked so far for both thunar and  pcmanfm...

Last edited by adamlau (2009-02-22 21:36:36)

Arch Linux + sway
Debian Testing + GNOME/sway
NetBSD 64-bit + Xfce

#32 2009-02-22 21:35:22

skottish
Forum Fellow

You're very kind adamlau. Thanks.

How long has it been since you reconfigured gamin like this? I ask because I can rebuild gamin from the Arch PKGBUILD with no changes and it works properly sometimes for days on end.

#33 2009-02-22 21:40:21

moljac024

It seems that there is some rather fishy business about...

The day Microsoft makes a product that doesn't suck, is the day they make a vacuum cleaner.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
But if they tell you that I've lost my mind, maybe it's not gone just a little hard to find...

#34 2009-02-22 21:50:38

adamlau

Gamin was built as above and has been running that way for about a month. Zero (apparent and noticeable) use issues with thunar (including one, or two previous svn builds) and pcmanfm (though I only use pcmanfm -d to manage the desktop). I'll use pcmanfm as an explicit file manager in the next few days and see what happens.

Last edited by adamlau (2009-02-22 22:59:44)

Arch Linux + sway
NetBSD 64-bit + Xfce

#35 2009-02-23 00:23:12

R00KIE
Forum Fellow

I have recompiled gamin from abs with the added --disable-kqueue --disable-hurd_mach_notify options, will give it a go for a few days with pcmanfm and see what happens.

Also, can anyone track the changes made to the gamin PKGBUILD? maybe some option was added/removed that made it misbehave.

Last edited by R00KIE (2009-02-23 00:25:46)

R00KIE

#36 2009-02-23 01:46:09

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

Same here. rebuilt gamin with the options that adam suggested. Now we wait and watch!

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#37 2009-02-23 02:17:12

skottish
Forum Fellow

The possible notification libraries that can be compiled into gamin are inotify (Linux,  current), dnotify (Linux, obsolete), kqueue (BSD), and hurd_mach_notify (kernel of some obscure OS that no non-developer uses smile ). The default behavior of gamin is to have --enable-kernel, which is "Use polling regardless of what kernel-level systems are available". I believe that the above flags are still using inotify; That they don't actually change the functionality of gamin at all. This still could indicate a problem with pcmanfm if Thunar users aren't having the problem.

--EDIT--

***I removed the PKGBUILD that I had here. It offered nothing new.***

#38 2009-02-23 05:11:06

adamlau

Exactly why I built with and am using gamin with --disable-inotify: To see if  I could force polling (epoll?) through what I am assuming to be HAL. But then again, Thunar and PCManFM supposedly do not support inotify to begin with.

Last edited by adamlau (2009-02-23 05:16:44)

Arch Linux + sway
NetBSD 64-bit + Xfce

#39 2009-02-23 05:41:24

skottish
Forum Fellow

adamlau wrote:

Exactly why I built with and am using gamin with --disable-inotify: To see if  I could force polling (epoll?) through what I am assuming to be HAL. But then again, Thunar and PCManFM supposedly do not support inotify to begin with.

Thunar and pcmanfm don't support inotify, but gamin does. They don't need it. This was the response from Thunar's dev on the subject:

http://osdir.com/ml/desktop.xfce.thunar … 00079.html

That's not why I'm reposting. Because of what you said, I tried all five of these lines:

--disable-kernel
--disable-dnotify
--disable-kqueue
--disable-inotify
--disable-hurd_mach_notify

It still works. This actually proves what you said to be correct. The --disable-kernel line that I had above is apparently ignored if all other options are also disabled; They both produce the "polling" backend.

***If this works for me, you're me hero***

***If this doesn't work for me, you're still my hero***

#40 2009-02-23 14:02:12

R00KIE
Forum Fellow

From what I can understand from the help of the configure script if you issue --disable-kernel it will automatically put gamin into polling mode (same as disabling all other options). Polling will always be supported regardless of the other options because it seems there is no way to disable it. This is what it says at some point while building the package "backends: polling, inotify, dnotify" (I didn't know dnotify was obsolete so I left it there), the other two backends seemed a bit suspicious to me but as it seems they shouldn't be causing any problem.

R00KIE

#41 2009-02-23 18:35:37

skottish
Forum Fellow

I'm going to add to the mess now. Disabling everything except 'polling' in gamin causes a whole other set of issues with pcmanfm. The side pain view stopped to update properly. Stuff was disappearing or showing multiple versions of the same thing.

Gads!

#42 2009-02-25 13:19:11

Nezmer
Website

I had the worst experience with pcmanfm yesterday . It all started when I used mtpfs to mount my mtp device . Both gamin & fam failed miserably .
With fam , both pcmanfm & Thunar were messed up . They would show a different set of files whenever I try to browse the device .

I ended up with nautilus (--no-desktop) . It was actually fast(with thumbnails disabled) and reliable but a little bit heavy on RAM .

After all , nothing beats the terminal with zsh .

English is not my native language .

#43 2009-02-25 18:51:09

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

I have rebuilt pcmanfm, with the options suggested by Adam. But I still find that when I move or copy files, I have to refresh PCManFM for it to update.

I think I might download another one of the FMs and try that for a few days.

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#44 2009-02-25 21:15:40

adamlau

This issue is an odd one, PCManFM (repo) working well here, updates are near immediate, though Thunar is faster still to update (1.0.0 svn and 0.9.3 repo). No refreshes required. Fam and portmap removed, only gamin  is up and running.

Arch Linux + sway
NetBSD 64-bit + Xfce

#45 2009-02-25 21:34:30

skottish
Forum Fellow

I've had gamin built with the following since my last post and I've seen no problems. It's only been a day and a half though:

--prefix=/usr \
          --disable-static \
          --disable-dnotify \
          --disable-kernel \
          --disable-kqueue \
          --disable-hurd_mach_notify \
          --disable-gtk-doc \
          --with-threads \
          --disable-debug-api \
          --disable-debug \
          --libexecdir=/usr/lib/gamin

I'm currently running pcmanfm-svn r787. I just hope that pcmanfm's devs come to life either here or in the bug report soon. Thunar's bugs are far worse for me, so I want this one to work.

#46 2009-02-26 18:25:09

skottish
Forum Fellow

Bump.

I posted at the LXDE forums because it's unclear whether any bugs at the SourceForge page are either being looked at or handled. No recent bug has an assigned to name.

http://forum.lxde.org/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=269

#47 2009-02-26 19:07:37

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

I will try and re-build gamin too and see. But considering its only been 1.5 days for you skottish, I don't know. When I rebuilt pcmanfm, it worked fine for a few days before I started getting problems.

So its a wait and watch thing. I will try rebuilding pcmanfm and gamin and see if that works.

Forum Rules

#48 2009-02-28 22:22:07

skottish
Forum Fellow

pcmanfm stopped updating again today, but this time F5 did nothing either. And, I've seen no evidence that anyone is actually looking at this bug report, or any bug report, for pcmanfm.

This bites. It is, or was anyway, the best graphical file manager for me.

#49 2009-02-28 23:16:25

R00KIE
Forum Fellow

I haven't seen any problems here lately but I haven't been doing any major file operations lately (read organize many little and not so little files downloaded from the internet).
This bug really sucks .... none of the graphical light weight file managers that I know and like seem to work properly with gamin sad
On the other hand I have to understand the developers, this is a hard bug to find, so far we have no easy way to replicate it so we are sort of asking the developers to go witch-hunt hmm  .... if only we even knew for sure which piece of code to blame.

R00KIE

#50 2009-03-01 01:43:58

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

I have resorted to CLI file manipulation because I didn't find any other File Manager good enough, that didn't bring in a shitload of dependencies.

Forum Rules

Board footer