You are not logged in.

#51 2009-03-01 04:51:30

firecat53
Website

Re: Is gamin working properly for you?

Hmmm, I've got pcmanfm-fuse from AUR running gamin and it all is working perfectly, near as I can tell. I just did some file transfers yesterday over cifs and watched pcmanfm updating everything realtime, and just did several transfers just within my computer and watched it all working great. Pcmanfm-fuse gets compiled from AUR (just default yaourt install, I didn't change any flags) but gamin is straight from the repos. I'm on Arch64, if that's any help at all.

Scott

#52 2009-03-01 12:40:21

R00KIE
Forum Fellow

Mind you that the latest Thunar that is pulled together with the latest xfce seems to be working fine, no more thread race problem as far as I can tell with my short test on Arch64.

R00KIE
Tm90aGluZyB0byBzZWUgaGVyZSwgbW92ZSBhbG9uZy4K

#53 2009-03-01 15:39:15

skottish
Forum Fellow

firecat53 wrote:

Hmmm, I've got pcmanfm-fuse from AUR running gamin and ...

snip

Just so you know, the fuse stuff was merged in to trunk, so pcmanfm-svn is recommended. Both the -fuse and -svn packages are missing the install file. It's recommended by the author of pcmanfm that your builds implement this.

And for everyone, smbnetfs is started automatically by pcmanfm. Having it in the daemons array too can cause the first connection to have trouble (at least in folder view). It's not a big deal, but it just feels a bit snappier.

There's one more interesting thing going on. There is a 'gnu' branch of pcmanfm:

http://forum.lxde.org/viewtopic.php?f=2 … 4ae5f6020f

I'm wondering if this stuff gets merged into trunk if it would play better with the current tools.

#54 2009-03-03 05:46:10

skottish
Forum Fellow

***Update***

First off, I was wrong about the fuse stuff being in trunk. Ignore that. Second, this is confirmed a pcmanfm bug with gamin 0.1.10 and not gamin itself. I think that we already agreed on that.

There was a patch posted at the LXDE forums in regard to this issue. It segfaults pcmanfm-fuse and pcmanfm-svn for me. If anyone wants to try the patch out, I can post a version of it and instructions (if necessary).

The old gamin is what I'm trying now. I don't recall this problem happening before it upgraded, so I'm hoping it solves the problem until a proper solution comes forward.

# $Id: PKGBUILD,v 1.2 2008/07/28 13:15:48 abhidg Exp $
# Maintainer: Abhishek Dasgupta <abhidg@gmail.com>
# Contributor: Pulphix <crimea.v@libero.it>

pkgname=gamin
pkgver=0.1.9
pkgrel=4
pkgdesc='Gamin is a file and directory monitoring system defined to be a subset of the FAM (File Alteration Monitor) system.'
url='http://www.gnome.org/~veillard/gamin'
license=('GPL')
arch=('i686' 'x86_64')
depends=('glib2')
options=('libtool')
provides=('fam')
conflicts=('fam')
source=("http://www.gnome.org/~veillard/gamin/sources/${pkgname}-${pkgver}.tar.gz")
md5sums=('2d3a6a70df090ed923238e381e6c2982')

build() {
    cd $startdir/src/$pkgname-$pkgver
    sed -i "s# -Wall# -Wall -D_GNU_SOURCE#g" configure || return 1
    ./configure --prefix=/usr --disable-static --with-threads --without-python --disable-debug-api --disable-debug
    make || return 1
    make DESTDIR=$startdir/pkg install || return 1
}

#55 2009-03-06 21:15:03

skottish
Forum Fellow

This is hopefully the last update for this thread...

I'm been running pcmanfm-fuse with gamin 0.1.9 for four days and haven't had any problems at all. It had gotten to the point where I could break pcmanfm with either gamin or fam in minutes. I never did isolate out what was happening to make it fail. Anyway, downgrading gamin solved my problem.

#56 2009-03-06 23:08:06

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

skottish wrote:

This is hopefully the last update for this thread...

I'm been running pcmanfm-fuse with gamin 0.1.9 for four days and haven't had any problems at all. It had gotten to the point where I could break pcmanfm with either gamin or fam in minutes. I never did isolate out what was happening to make it fail. Anyway, downgrading gamin solved my problem.

Hey skottish, can you tell me the difference between pcmanfm in the repos and pcmanfm-fuse?
I saw that it depends on gamin explicitly - which means that it cannot be used with fam at all. What are the other differences other than the fact that you find it running properly with gamin 0.1.9?

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#57 2009-03-07 00:04:44

skottish
Forum Fellow

The gamin dependency really should be fam. I don't know why the author didn't use fam in the first place.

The main difference between the fuse version and the regular one is that it's already setup for mounting remote file systems. There's a third button on the bottom of the side pain that switches to remote folder view. It automatically picks up the Windows network in this house.

The view doesn't work perfectly. You can select the remote folder view, click on the network and not see any folders. Switching away from that view then back again usually makes it update properly.

This is the version of the PKGBUILD that I'm using, plus an install file that's missing from the AUR version. The pkgrel is as high as it is because I don't want yaourt to think that there's an update:

PKGBUILD

pkgver=770
pkgrel=5
pkgdesc="A fast and light file manager with remote file system mounting support."
arch=(i686 x86_64)
url="http://pcmanfm.sourceforge.net/"
license=('GPL')
depends=('gtk2' 'glib2' 'startup-notification' 'hal' 'dbus' 'fuse' 'intltool' 'fam' 'sshfs' 'curlftpfs' 'smbnetfs')
makedepends=('subversion' 'gcc' 'automake')
conflicts=('pcmanfm')
optdepends=('fusesmb: to mount samba shares')
source=(pcmanfm_inotify.patch)
md5sums=()

_svntrunk=https://pcmanfm.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/pcmanfm/branches/fuse/
_svnmod=pcmanfm

build() {
    cd $startdir/src

if [ -d $_svnmod/.svn ]; then
        (cd $_svnmod && svn up -r $pkgver)
    else
        svn co $_svntrunk --config-dir ./ -r $pkgver $_svnmod
    fi

msg "SVN checkout done or server timeout"
    msg "Starting make..."

cp -r $_svnmod $_svnmod-build
    cd $_svnmod-build

./autogen.sh    --sysconfdir=/etc \
                    --prefix=/usr \
                    --enable-hal \
                    --disable-desktop-integration
    make || return 1
    make DESTDIR=$startdir/pkg install || return 1
    rm $startdir/pkg/usr/share/applications/pcmanfm-find.desktop

rm -rf ../$_svnmod-build
}

pcmanfm.install

post_install() {
  update-mime-database usr/share/mime > /dev/null
  update-desktop-database -q
}

post_upgrade() {
  post_install
}

post_remove() {
  post_install
}

#58 2009-03-07 03:56:52

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

Thanks for the info skottish. I currently have my computer running solely on Linux. So I do not have the need to mount network drives. My work laptop is XP, but I never network it with my home machine. Nothing on it that I need at home smile

So I think I will keep using the pcmanfm from the repos and just downgrade gamin.

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#59 2009-03-07 16:28:24

R00KIE
Forum Fellow

I'm using the terminal that is pulled together with xfce (I use xfce). I do use vi once in a while but only when things don't work and I don't have any way to go into a graphical user interface, otherwise I use medit.
Like I have said before the latest thunar seems to be working ok with all "stock" arch packages (including gamin). Thunar doesn't do some neat things pcmanfm does though sad .

R00KIE
Tm90aGluZyB0byBzZWUgaGVyZSwgbW92ZSBhbG9uZy4K

#60 2009-03-07 17:53:49

Anarconda

R00KIE wrote:

Like I have said before the latest thunar seems to be working ok with all "stock" arch packages (including gamin). Thunar doesn't do some neat things pcmanfm does though sad .

I agree.

Scientia et sapientia patrimonium humanitatis sunt.

#61 2009-03-13 02:43:43

pierce.jason

Sorry to be dense, but the back-and-forth nature of this thread has me a little confused... Am I correct to understand, that downgrading gamin-0.1.10, to gamin-0.1.9, should prevent pcmanfm-0.5-2 from "hiding" files when I rename them?

As a slight side note, isn't gamin supposed to be non-daemonized? Ie, after a user exits an LXDE session, gamin should shutdown. My gamin seems to stay running in the background, even if my user logs out, and another user starts LXDE.

#62 2009-03-13 02:52:29

skottish
Forum Fellow

pierce.jason wrote:

Sorry to be dense, but the back-and-forth nature of this thread has me a little confused... Am I correct to understand, that downgrading gamin-0.1.10, to gamin-0.1.9, should prevent pcmanfm-0.5-2 from "hiding" files when I rename them?

As a slight side note, isn't gamin supposed to be non-daemonized? Ie, after a user exits an LXDE session, gamin should shutdown. My gamin seems to stay running in the background, even if my user logs out, and another user starts LXDE.

<Any thread that I'm part of for any length of time is bound to be confusing!>

Downgrading gamin to 0.1.9 seems to have fixed all of the problems that I was having with pcmanfm. It's been a number of days now, and everything is working as well as ever. I would recommend trying it out for yourself.

As far as your second question, I'm really not sure. I've never paid attention to it until it stopped working correctly.

Board footer