You are not logged in.

#1 2009-02-16 04:35:10

brendanz

[solved] udev permissions for /dev/vmnet*

Hi all.
I am having trouble keeping +rw permissions for the users group on /dev/vmnet*.
chmod works fine for the current session but revert to root only permissions after reboot.
Having read the udev man page and sifted through the forums, i have created /etc/udev/rules.d/00-vmnet-rules with the following:

KERNEL=="vmnet[0-8]", NAME="%k", SYMLINK+="vmnet-%k", GROUP="users", MODE="0666", OPTIONS="last_rule"
ACTION=="add", KERNEL=="vmnet[0-8]", SYMLINK+="vmnet-%k", GROUP="users", MODE="0666", NAME="%k"

This does not solve the problem.
Attempting to start vmware as a user and run a vm which attempts to set vmnet0 in promiscuous mode results in the following:

"The virtual machines operating system has attempted to enable promiscuous mode on adapter Ethernet0. This is not allowed for security reasons. Please go to the Web page "http://vmware.com/info?id161" for help enabling promiscuous mode in the virtual machine."

57jsw.jpg

The instructions at the above web page work fine for the current session but revert to root only permissions after reboot.
I figure my udev rule is incorrect.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I'll keep reading and experimenting with udev rules and mark as solved if i get it right.

EDIT:

I was focusing on udev rules instead of scripts to manage devices.
Modified the Start/stop script from the vmware wiki to use elevated permissions for /dev/vmnet0.
All works fine, marked solved.

Last edited by brendanz (2009-02-16 07:11:50)

#2 2009-11-18 03:34:08

sefs

Re: [solved] udev permissions for /dev/vmnet*

Hi there.

I would like to know specifially how you solved this problem.  I would like persistent changes on my /dev/vmnet0 also.

I did not understand your method.

Thanks.

#3 2015-02-17 12:41:44

Maeda

Re: [solved] udev permissions for /dev/vmnet*

Hi all,

For my first post, I give the information to set promiscuous mode, as I didn't find it here. Hope it helps someone else (as this post show up in internet search)...
The easiest way to do it is either :

1/ Method 1
- First, create a new Linux group which has permission to use promiscuous mode, and add yourself to the group.

groupadd promiscuous
usermod -a -G promiscuous <your_user_id>

- Update the group ownership and access permission of /dev/vmnet*

chgrp promiscuous /dev/vmnet*
chmod g+rw /dev/vmnet*

2/ Method 2
To allow all users (instead of a specific user) to set the virtual adapter to promiscuous mode, run the following command on host machine.

chmod a+rw /dev/vmnet*

After changing access permission, you need to restart VMware Workstation or Player to make the change effective.

=> This is a temporary solution as the reboot will delete changes.

==To make it permanent at each reboot==

- For Method 1 (assuming that you already created a Linux group called "promiscuous" as described earlier):
Find the line vmwareStartVmnet in /etc/init.d/vmware

vmwareStartVmnet() {
  vmwareLoadModule $vnet
  "$BINDIR"/vmware-networks --start >> $VNETLIB_LOG 2>&1
  chgrp promiscuous /dev/vmnet*
  chmod g+rw /dev/vmnet*
}

-For Method 2 :
Find the line vmwareStartVmnet in /etc/init.d/vmware, and put the chmod as below :

vmwareStartVmnet() 
  vmwareLoadModule $vnet
  "$BINDIR"/vmware-networks --start >> $VNETLIB_LOG 2>&1
  chmod a+rw /dev/vmnet*
}

Source for further informations

BTW, thanks for all the other information I got here and in the Wiki when installing my Archlinux system smile

Board footer