You are not logged in.

#1 2009-02-16 15:58:43

Dethredic
Website

Couple things from Gnome for Openbox?

So I switched to openbox and I am really liking the minimalist look. I am just wondering if some of these this can be installed, and if so what their package names are.
1) The screen shot thing (press print screen and the nice dialouge comes up with options about saving.)
2) image viewer
3) Screensaver, and how would I access its controls (I know there is another one, but it is really ugly.)

#2 2009-02-16 16:03:52

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

Re: Couple things from Gnome for Openbox?

Dethredic wrote:

So I switched to openbox and I am really liking the minimalist look. I am just wondering if some of these this can be installed, and if so what their package names are.
1) The screen shot thing (press print screen and the nice dialouge comes up with options about saving.)
2) image viewer
3) Screensaver, and how would I access its controls (I know there is another one, but it is really ugly.)

Since you are liking the minimalistic look... I would advise you to install apps that are also minimalist

1) Look into scrot -- its a CLI based screenshot program and you just start up a terminal or a run-dialog and give in the command scrot. There are a bunch of options like taking a shot after n seconds, also for taking screenies of particular windows.

2) Mirage is a very good image viewer. very few dependencies. Another is ristretto-- but it brings some xfce dependencies with it..so I don't like that. Then there is gpicview as well

3)install xscreensaver -- I never use it  so I don't know if that's the one that you find ugly.

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#3 2009-02-16 22:11:12

Dethredic
Website

Inxsible wrote:

Since you are liking the minimalistic look... I would advise you to install apps that are also minimalist

1) Look into scrot -- its a CLI based screenshot program and you just start up a terminal or a run-dialog and give in the command scrot. There are a bunch of options like taking a shot after n seconds, also for taking screenies of particular windows.

2) Mirage is a very good image viewer. very few dependencies. Another is ristretto-- but it brings some xfce dependencies with it..so I don't like that. Then there is gpicview as well

3)install xscreensaver -- I never use it  so I don't know if that's the one that you find ugly.

I have tried all the things you mentioned and I don't really like them.

#4 2009-02-16 22:38:49

celthias

Dethredic wrote:

2) image viewer

You might like to try gpicview, very light and simple.

#5 2009-02-17 02:45:44

LeoSolaris

I usually use feh for the images and background. Personally, I find it to be really useful, and if you add the right command for feh to what ever file manager opens your files to open pictures with, it will work seamlessly.

I agree that xscreensaver is a little...   umm...  yuck. That is because it's not based on the gtk toolkit for security reasons. I am not sure if the gnome-screensaver can be used in the *boxes.

You can tie scrot to the Print Screen button in Openbox fairly easily with a keybinding in the RC.XML. It doesn't have the pretty GUI that pops up the way Gnome' does, but it will do the same thing. There are other options but scrot does stay out of your way once you get it set. There are a number of GUI front-ends for scrot in the AUR. There are also other options.

I keep getting distracted from my webserver project...

huh? oooh...  shiny!

#6 2009-02-17 02:47:36

Dethredic
Website

celthias wrote:
Dethredic wrote:

2) image viewer

You might like to try gpicview, very light and simple.

That one is actually nice.

Still looking for the other two.

Board footer