You are not logged in.

#1 2009-02-20 02:05:15

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

Awesome installation

I am trying to get into tiling WMs and this will be my first venture for an extended amount of time. I have chosen awesome, simply because of the fact that it provides an built-in systray. As of now, that was the only choosing criteria for me because frankly I have never used tiling WMs and so all of them are the same to me.

Now there are 3 different ways to install awesome, the pacakge in the community, adding the camazotz.de repo, or using the git versions. My question is, is there any difference between the packages? Will a config file from one of the installations work for another?

Thanks

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#2 2009-02-20 02:46:41

deadlylife

Re: Awesome installation

I don't think there would be a difference, but I could be wrong. The config files should work with all of them.
I'm using the one from the pacman rebo, by the way.

#3 2009-02-20 02:48:13

deadlylife

Actually, according to heleos,
". . . The git version just changed how keybindings work... may want to check out the /etc/xdg/awesome/rc.lua file for the syntax"
http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=65510

#4 2009-02-20 03:41:15

koch

try "normal" awesome from community. i don't know about the other repo but the git-version changes syntax quiet often so it's not too good for beginners.

you can also try awesome2 which does not need lua. the config is "humanreadable" wink but just for a test if you like the tiling stuff it should be enough.
in case you like it it also should be easier to upgrade to awesome3 just because you have some basic knowledge about it.

there are a lot of configs in the different screenshot-threads here in the forum so you can just copy something and try it.

#5 2009-02-20 04:25:17

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

I think I will jsut go ahead with awesome3. understanding lua is not a big deal. I haven't learnt lua per se...but I do know a few programming languages, so I think I can get the gist of what the rc file is trying to do.

As for syntax, I will steal a few config files off of people and see what its like.

Thanks.

EDIT: I tried searching for the wicked plugins for awesome -- the ones for MPD and such..but I cannot locate them. Do we have to add the repo to get them?

Last edited by Inxsible (2009-02-20 04:30:10)

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#6 2009-02-20 09:25:59

WhiteMagic

The plugins you're talking about are an integral part of wicked. Take a look at "man wicked" to see what kind of information it can provide.

There's a page in the awesome wiki about how to use them awesome wiki. If for some reason the examples in the wiki don't work you could always take a look at the configs of other people.

Board footer