You are not logged in.

#1 2009-02-20 13:18:52

userlander

Where do the nfs daemons go in the array?

Whenever I reboot my arch server, like for a kernel upgrade, all the computers sharing directories from it lose their NFS connection. The directory listing turns into a bunch of question marks (???? ?????) and the shares give a "permission denied" error when I try to access them. I have to manually unmount the directory and then remount it again.

I had all the nfs daemons right after network, but I moved them to the end and it still does the same thing. This is rc.conf now, with the daemons at the end:

DAEMONS=(@syslog-ng hal network @sshd @ntpd @crond @alsa @hwd @cups @samba !@preload portmap nfslock nfsd netfs cpufreq)

Is there something obviously out of order there? Or is it a bug? I searched the bug tracker, but I didn't see anything about it.

#2 2009-02-20 13:25:32

iBertus

Re: Where do the nfs daemons go in the array?

Does the same thing happen if you just run '/etc/rc.d/nfsd restart' instead of rebooting? I suppose my question is how do you know that it's a starting order problem and not just a configuration issue?

#3 2009-02-20 13:36:33

userlander

No, it's just on reboot. If I run /etc/rc.d/nfsd restart, the shares on the client stay mounted. That made me assume it's something happening on the reboot, but maybe it's something else I'm not thinking of?

#4 2009-02-20 15:05:19

tomk
Forum Fellow

Are your clients running portmap and nfslock before netfs? Please review the NFS wiki page for more details.

And slightly off the main topic - you don't need to run netfs on your server unless it's also a client of another server.

#5 2009-02-20 16:25:31

userlander

tomk wrote:

Are your clients running portmap and nfslock before netfs? Please review the NFS wiki page for more details.

And slightly off the main topic - you don't need to run netfs on your server unless it's also a client of another server.

This computer (Arch) mounts shares from the other one (which is actually the main server). That computer has debian on it, and the shares from debian to arch mount and remount fine no matter which computer reboots.

I just rebooted the debian machine to test, and it also doesn't mount the directory when it reboots. It's not an error in the fstab file, because I can mount the share with mount -a after it's booted.

So something about the way the Arch NFS system is serving the files seems to be broken. It's obviously a bug in the init somewhere and not a misconfiguration, because the share mounts fine manually using mount -a. It just won't mount the served directories either when rebooting the Arch server or the debian client. Unless anyone has any other ideas, I guess I'll file a bug report. ?

Board footer