You are not logged in.

#1 2009-02-24 01:25:46

Mmm314

Gnome installation and start up issues

Hey, so I recently made the jump from Windows XP to Archlinux (best... choice... ever!), and has been trying to install gnome, gdm, and xorg using pacman. That was the easy part, after that I edited /ect/inittab to activate the GUI from start up (i.e. removing the # from id:5, and placing one in front of id:3) successfully as well. Now whenever Arch starts up I enter "startx" and gnome initializes completely and I can see the screen, but my keyboard and mouse die at that point. I really am stuck here after 3 or so hours fighting through code, so any help is appreciated.

#2 2009-02-24 01:35:15

Sjoden
Website

Re: Gnome installation and start up issues

You shouldn't have to type 'startx' if you set up the computer to start X11 rather than leave you at the command line. Scroll down to the bottom of inittab and make sure the right id:5 is selected for dgm. Also, make sure you have xf86-input-mouse and xf86-input-keyboard installed. This also may be of help; http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xor … otplugging.

/edit
Also, if you don't restart after you install xorg-server, it will load the wm/de but and show the mouse pointer, but then it crashes hard and you have to do a hard reboot, as in the the power button. This probably isn't what you are experiencing though?

Last edited by Sjoden (2009-02-24 01:37:44)

#3 2009-02-24 01:40:44

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

Also since you have already installed gdm and plan on using it, it would be  best to add it into the DAEMONS array, so that you can log in using the gdm instead of having to type startx.

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#4 2009-02-24 03:07:12

Sjoden
Website

Well, he set up his inittab to boot to gdm already, but it isn't working. He could set his inittab to go back to runlevel three, and then put gdm in the daemons array at the bottom of /etc/rc.conf.

#5 2009-02-24 21:06:03

Mmm314

Hey I just talked to a friend of mine and he informed me that because I was using a synaptics Mouse Pad I had to install new drivers. Anyway, problem solved! Many thanks to all.

Board footer