You are not logged in.

#1 2009-02-25 02:57:32

Convergence

[resolved]mpd over nfs

I just set up one of my computers as an NFS server, so that the other computer will have access to my music collection.  Once I got the /home/shared/music directory mounted on the client computer, on that computer, I used ncmpcpp to start a database update to add those remote files to the local mpd database.  It seems to be working- I can hear the drive reading on the server, and the database appears to be growing on the client.  My question is, this:  Is it actually sending every bit of my 32 gig musical collection over the net?  It didn't occur to me that this might happen until I noticed that it was taking an inordinate amount of time to update the database.

My next question is Will this cause weird things to happen with my slocate and fam on the client computer?

Last edited by Convergence (2009-02-25 03:21:40)

It's a very deadly weapon to know what you're doing
---  William Murderface

#2 2009-02-25 03:11:14

luciferin

Re: [resolved]mpd over nfs

Hm, your quesions are specific to your setup and difficult to answer (for me at least), but I'll try.. 

First: you're mounting the share with a local address, right? (i.e. 192.168.*.*)  If that is the case then your music will only be sent over your LAN, not the internet. 

Second: MPD should only be scanning the shared directory unless you've set some setting that I am unaware of to make a local copy of all your music.  It's just reading the tags of all your files, which over a LAN could dtake some time.

Finally: slocate and fam should operate normally.  I used to do the same thing with my music collection and never ran into a problem.  If the share is mounted when an updatedb occures than it will include those files in the update for slocate.  Similarly FAM is designed to work fine with NFS shares, there shouldn't be any quirks.

#3 2009-02-25 03:21:18

Convergence

Re: [resolved]mpd over nfs

Woohoo!  It just finished, and it is working.  I guess that you were right, I don't think that it sent every bit of every file over the network, or it would have taken a lot longer.  I just didn't know if mpd would have to read the entire length of every song in order to collect the metadata.  Thank you for your prompt and helpful response.

By the way, this is just over my local wlan, and the shared dir is /etc/home/shared/music, which contains only musical files.

Last edited by Convergence (2009-02-25 03:25:22)

It's a very deadly weapon to know what you're doing
---  William Murderface

Board footer