You are not logged in.

#1 2009-02-27 17:21:34

Alxe

[SOLVED] Problems with Wireless..

Well, yesterday I installed Archlinux (finally!) and began to structure the OS with new packages of applications and so smile
I had to install using the FTP isolinux-image, and (because I couldn't wire the PC) I had to learn how to set up a wireless connection, manually. It was some hard times because the most common way is with WEP and my router uses WPA2. I just "downgraded" the security for some time, and currently I'm with so, too, but I want to set my Arch to use a WPA2 encrypted wireless. I've been reading the wiki and seems there are some automatic ways with some apps. Well, because I use gnome, I thought gnome-network-manager would be good (I really don't worry about the bytes of the HD I spend), I configured it and things, but now I can't connect to anything because the nm-applet dissappeared.

I've followed the wiki and still it doesn't reappears hmm

Conclusion: Check everything twice to ensure things *sigh*

Last edited by Alxe (2009-02-27 22:06:12)

Arch64

#2 2009-02-27 18:00:02

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

Re: [SOLVED] Problems with Wireless..

Search the wiki for Wicd. IMO, its the most easiest to use and it also handles WPA connections.

As for your nm-applet disappearing...I have no clue. When you say you configured it, what exactly did you do ?

Last edited by Inxsible (2009-02-27 18:00:49)

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#3 2009-02-27 18:26:50

Alxe

I will try Wicd, but only if I don't manage to solve this. Right now I tried running nm-applet from a terminal, and it gave me this:

Xlib:  extension "Generic Event Extension" missing on display ":0.0".

** (nm-applet:5035): WARNING **: <WARN>  applet_dbus_manager_start_service(): Could not acquire the NetworkManagerUserSettings service as it is already taken.  Return: 3

I really don't know what that means, but I think it has something with dbus and that the applet is alredy "running". hmm
And by configuration, I meant this.

Thanks for the help smile

Arch64

#4 2009-02-27 20:08:31

jacko

what's so hard about the manual way? Read the wiki on wpa_supplicant, set that up and then go back to command prompt and type in

iwconfig wlan0 essid your_network

there is no key with WPA.

then keep following the wireless wiki.

dhcpcd wlan0

EDIT: of course switch wlan0 for your wireless adapter name

#5 2009-02-27 21:21:52

Alxe

I solved it, I don't know exactly how, but I did... Just boot and the icon was there... smile
Thanks for all the help, anyway

Arch64

Board footer