You are not logged in.

#1 2009-02-28 18:26:43

Reploid

Xorg.conf from debian won't work in Arch on the same machine!

I can't get arch up and running. My keyboard and mouse won't respond to input once it hit startx and enter.

I copied the xorg.conf from the debian install before I decided to wipe the disk clean and install arch. It is here:http://pastebin.com/m6870dc21

Then, I tired X -configure and copied the file to /etc/X11/xorg.conf, and please tell me what I have to write from that file to a pastebin, cos I can't seem to mount my external disk either (ARGH, nothing will go my way!!!!)

Mouse and keyboard are still frozen?

- what is the reason for the same xorg.conf not working on both systems? Driver discrepancies?

I need help. Pretty please. With sugar, honey and chocolate on top.

#2 2009-02-28 18:37:55

ataraxia

Re: Xorg.conf from debian won't work in Arch on the same machine!

Recent Xorg versions default to using hal to find your keyboard and mouse, and ignore what you say about them in xorg.conf. Either start hal at boot before X starts, or put

Option "AutoAddDevices" "false"

in the ServerFlags section of xorg.conf. FWIW, Debian just uses hal.

#3 2009-02-28 18:40:38

KimTjik

Probably only different versions of xorg. See http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xor … otplugging

Arch uses versions that leave it to hal to hotplugg keyboard and mouse, if you don't explicitly disable this feature. Mount external drivers could be related to /etc/PolicyKit/PolicyKit.conf. I had to add the following to mine:

<config version="0.1">
    <match action="org.freedesktop.hal.storage.mount-removable">
        <return result="yes"/>
    </match>
    <match action="org.freedesktop.hal.power-management.shutdown">
        <return result="yes"/>
    </match>
    <match action="org.freedesktop.hal.power-management.reboot">
        <return result="yes"/>
    </match>
</config>

If I remember it right, this depends on what desktop solution you've chosen. I did use xfce when adding those lines, and I kept thunar while using Awesome.

#4 2009-02-28 18:41:30

u_no_hu

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xor … otplugging ...... may be this? debian may have been using an older version of xorg without hal hotplugging,,,

Don't be a HELP VAMPIRE. Please search before you ask.

Subscribe to The Arch Daily News.

#5 2009-02-28 18:42:54

Reploid

Got it up and running!! But I did another config using the wiki, so I don't know if it was hal or the recent change...

I could change xorg.conf back again, to check it, but right now, I am sooo relieved. Seriously, I radiated bad mood through the entire house at this point. Thanks a lot ataraxia!

And thanx for showing me the hotplugging article, but: There is one thing I don't understand though. When debian doesn't hotplug, and the xorg file works in debian without hal, how come the debian xorg file wouldn't work, before I had started hal in arch? Shouldn't that have been just the same?

Last edited by Reploid (2009-02-28 18:46:49)

#6 2009-02-28 21:46:23

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

AFAIK, and also as ataraxia mentioned, Debian does use HAL by default unless of course you mean that you deliberately switched it off. So that's why your xorg worked in Debian, but Arch gives you the user to select what option you want. Either go with HAL or without.

Last edited by Inxsible (2009-02-28 21:46:51)

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

Board footer