You are not logged in.

#1 2009-03-01 14:27:52

Alxe

Is there a isolinux-based core installer?

I ask for this because I can't run the GRUB one because of my alredy installed grub from before... And I don't like the FTP installer because I need to set up my wireless, and it's tricky, once worked, and now it doesn't ... Also, I alredy erased everything from the hard disk and partitioned again ^^U So I can't even start with windows because Grub doesn't even start the recovery command line *sigh* So, halp?

Arch64

#2 2009-03-01 18:41:10

Ranguvar

Re: Is there a isolinux-based core installer?

Have you actually tried the normal install CD? A GRUB-based install CD will not mess up if you have GRUB your drive.

And if you can't set up your wireless in the FTP CD... well, Arch is going to be the exact same thing (it is just an Arch Live CD) so you might as well learn in the FTP CD: You're going to have to later.

#3 2009-03-01 20:19:40

Mr.Elendig
#archlinux@freenode channel op

1. yes there is a isolinux based cd. You can find it on all the mirrors.
2. Even if you use a cd that uses grub to boot, that does not mean that you are forced to install grub from it. Just skip the "install bootloader" step, and don't select grub during the package selection.

Evil #archlinux@libera.chat channel op and general support dude.
. files on github, Screenshots, Random pics and the rest

#4 2009-03-01 20:31:54

Alxe

@Ranuvar: It's not that I'm afraid it will mess up my grub, is that I can't access the CD while I have GRUB on the MBR, dunno why.
I know how it is, but by tricky I meant I was having constant issues alredy. I alredy installed it (Again), but now my dhcpcd doesn't even send signals to the router (saw in debug more), I just want to install Wicd, NetworkManager is stupid too ;~;
I'll try and see if I get to be able and use Internet.. I never knew we really needed it for almost everything... Thanks anyway big_smile

@Mr.Elendig: I was looking for a Core CD based on isolinux. And I know of so, I alredy had some tries before, and some practise on a Virtual Machine smile Thanks anyway wink

Arch64

#5 2009-03-01 20:32:06

Dieter@be
Forum Fellow
Website

1) what Mr.Elendig said
2) what Mr.Elendig said
3) what Ranguvar said
4) the only functional difference between core cd's and ftp cd's is that the former has the packages on it and the second doesn't.  the installer is exactly the same (so you can still do an ftp install from a core image or a "core installation" from an ftp image by mounting an external repository/directory into your live vfs)
5) you can always overwrite an existing grub, it doesn't harm and it's fun smile
6) windows?? hmm

hope that helps smile

< Daenyth> and he works prolifically
4 8 15 16 23 42

#6 2009-03-01 20:45:06

Alxe

@Dieter[at]be:
1, 2, 3) 'Kay
4) I know of so alredy, but I doubt I can remove the CD when it is running to enter some other that has the data, also I'm very newbie around this sad
5) I know, I alredy done it twice XD
6) It's original, that's all I can say hmm

Arch64

#7 2009-03-01 21:26:12

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

Alxe wrote:

@Ranuvar: It's not that I'm afraid it will mess up my grub, is that I can't access the CD while I have GRUB on the MBR, dunno why.

You have to go into your BIOS and set it so that it boots from the CD instead of the hard disk.

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#8 2009-03-01 21:45:58

Alxe

@Inxsible: It's not that... the BIOS is perfectly set, it is that, somehow, having GRUB installed makes the installer stop loading hmm

Arch64

Board footer