You are not logged in.

#1 2009-03-02 21:17:07

syntaxerrormmm
Website

Ruby Gems PKGBUILDs

Hi all,

I'm wondering on the utility of making PKGBUILDs for rubygems I use (e.g. trollop, rdialog, mp3info). I already wrote the required PKGBUILDs and I'm quite confident that they are pretty clean and neat (just for information, does anyone want them? tongue). Build function is quite standard and based on these commands, mainly:

RUBYSHORT=$(/usr/bin/ruby --version | /bin/sed -ne 's:.*\<\([0-9]*\.[0-9]*\)\.[0-9]*.*:\1:p')
cd "${srcdir}"
install -d -m755 "${pkgdir}/usr/lib/ruby/gems/${RUBYSHORT}"
gem install "${pkgname}-${pkgver}" -l -i "${pkgdir}/usr/lib/ruby/gems/${RUBYSHORT}" || return 1

Obviously the goal here is to use pacman to manage Gem files.

What do you think on the idea? Do you think it worths the effort? Have you got a proposal for a standard nomenclature for them (like ${pkgname}-gem or something)? Any other ideas?

Thanks, regards,

syntaxerrormmm - Homepage

#2 2009-03-02 21:45:01

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

Re: Ruby Gems PKGBUILDs

I am not sure about this. I dont use Ruby currently, but back when I used Debian Lenny, it was suggested that gems be maintained manually using Ruby itself, instead of having the OS package manager handle them due to some issues arising. I forget what those were.

However, this may not apply to pacman given that pacman and apt-get/aptitude are vastly different programs.

Last edited by Inxsible (2009-03-02 21:45:24)

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#3 2009-03-03 20:38:50

syntaxerrormmm
Website

Mmh, after reading this, I'm more convinced that let the OS package manager handle the libraries/modules is the way to go. We talked too much of Debian, in any case smile I want to know if there is a common position between Arch users and developers.

In any case, thanks for the feedback.

#4 2009-03-03 20:43:58

Allan
Pacman
Website

We manage perl and python modules using pacman all the time.  And it appears we do the same for ruby: http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?O … _Search=Go

#5 2009-03-05 00:33:53

syntaxerrormmm
Website

Allan wrote:

We manage perl and python modules using pacman all the time.  And it appears we do the same for ruby: http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?O … _Search=Go

Thanks for pointing out. So the required behaviour (as done in perl CPAN modules also) is to use the sources for the gem and repackage all to install in site_ruby.

Thanks again, regards,

Board footer