You are not logged in.

#1 2009-03-03 18:25:32

MattSmith

Little Problem With External media [solved]

This must have happened just last night (kde update maybe?) as I use cd's and my pen drive on a day to day basis. For some reason I am unable to mount my pen drive, or view a cd that I have put in. I am 100% certain that I am in the correct groups as it was working fine yesterday morning. k3b tell me my cd is located at /dev/sr0/ ... I don't know how it knows that because I am not able to find it when I run fdisk -l (which also doesn't show my pendrive, which is usually at /dev/sdb/   .... so now I cant manually mount, or use the niffty KDE auto mounting widget. Any Ideas?

Last edited by MattSmith (2009-03-03 19:33:03)

A thing of beauty is a joy forever

-John Keats

#2 2009-03-03 18:44:08

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

Re: Little Problem With External media [solved]

are you using hot plugging or not?

If yes, one thing you might want to check is the HAL issues. Have you added the PolicyKit fix if you are using HAL?

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#3 2009-03-03 18:54:54

MattSmith

Yes I have added it, I have seemed to narrow it down. I don't think it's a problem with arch now... The cd, is an ancient RW, so most likely it's garbage, as arch picked up my old diablo cd in seconds... and 2 my friends pen drive worked. I have a feeling, that my teacher... who just pulled the drive out of her windoze computer while it was writing... or not? could have something to do with the issue. This being said, windoze wont pick up the pen drive (which is a miro sd to usb converter)... I think im SOL here hmm

-John Keats

#4 2009-03-03 18:56:37

MattSmith

Oh, btw,  I noticed you've tried many tiling window managers, and i was wondering what a good manager to start with would be. (sorry to go off topic)

-John Keats

#5 2009-03-03 19:21:01

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

MattSmith wrote:

Oh, btw,  I noticed you've tried many tiling window managers, and i was wondering what a good manager to start with would be. (sorry to go off topic)

I am just now venturing into tiling WMs. So I am probably not the best person to answer that question. But I am currently trying out awesome, dwm and wmii to see the differences. Search the wiki for a comparison of the tiling window managers to get a better idea on them.

I am not sure if you know programming, but if you have a even a bit of a background, then it will be easier to read the rc files of awesome and xmonad. I know you can simply steal rc files from others, but then it would just be a black box to you and you won't be able to customize your environment.

wmii has a text based configuration...so that might be helpful to people who have zero programming knowledge. I am trying wmii because I want to see if a manual management style suits me better than a dynamic one.

Last edited by Inxsible (2009-03-03 19:24:42)

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#6 2009-03-03 19:32:41

MattSmith

I suppose I will try wmii and awesome! thanks for the help!

-John Keats

Board footer