You are not logged in.

#1 2009-03-03 23:17:57

blackhole
Website

Looking for GUI program listing services, daemons, open ports

Hi there,

I'm looking for nice and easy GUI program which shows me all the services / daemons running on my machine with all the open port. What can you recommend (KDE apps prefered)?

Apart from that I have a few questions:

1.) I've tried lsof, but am a bit confused. Why doesn't "lsof -i" list CUPS on port 631, although the CUPS web interface is listening there?

2.) Where's the difference between "lsof -i" and "nmap localhost"?

3.) Is there another place where programs can be registered for being started at boot time apart from my DAEMONS attribute in /etc/rc.conf? I'm not too familiar with the whole booting process. Will any of the scripts under /etc/rc.conf be executed if they are not part of DAEMONS in /etc/rc.conf?

TIA,
Blackhole

Last edited by blackhole (2009-03-04 00:58:47)

Coming closer and closer to the ultimate goal: replacing boring old Windows XP desktop with shiny new Arch KDE 4 desktop. ^^
Already registered? Your vote counts!

#2 2009-03-04 02:30:41

dschrute

Re: Looking for GUI program listing services, daemons, open ports

I'm looking for nice and easy GUI program which shows me all the services / daemons running on my machine with all the open port. What can you recommend (KDE apps prefered)?

not KDE, but netactview is a decent/simple gui monitor
http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=14416

1.) I've tried lsof, but am a bit confused. Why doesn't "lsof -i" list CUPS on port 631, although the CUPS web interface is listening there?

For me it shows it, but doesn't list the port, but instead shows it as ipp.  If the "service" is listed in /etc/services lsof displays that name, otherwise it just shows the port number.  At least that's how it seems to work on my box.

2.) Where's the difference between "lsof -i" and "nmap localhost"?

nmap typically tries to actually connect to ports to determine if they are open and something is listening on them.  I think it's more typical to run nmap against a remote system.
lsof looks on the local system for running processes, and then checks what ( if any ) ports that process has open.

3.) Is there another place where programs can be registered for being started at boot time apart from my DAEMONS attribute in /etc/rc.conf? I'm not too familiar with the whole booting process. Will any of the scripts under /etc/rc.conf be executed if they are not part of DAEMONS in /etc/rc.conf?

/etc/rc.local /etc/inittab
Some others are listed here :
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Boot

#3 2009-03-04 10:12:00

blackhole
Website

dschrute wrote:

not KDE, but netactview is a decent/simple gui monitor
http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=14416

Thanks a lot. That looks really nice. I'm gonna try it. smile

dschrute wrote:

For me it shows it, but doesn't list the port, but instead shows it as ipp.

Well it doesn't for me. Why?

dschrute wrote:

nmap typically tries to actually connect to ports to determine if they are open and something is listening on them.  I think it's more typical to run nmap against a remote system.
lsof looks on the local system for running processes, and then checks what ( if any ) ports that process has open.

OK, but apparently lsof is not as reliable as nmap, because nmap shows CUPS on port 631.

dschrute wrote:

/etc/rc.local /etc/inittab
Some others are listed here :
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Boot

Thanks. *blush* I've never seen that wiki article. Noobish sorry.

Blackhole

Coming closer and closer to the ultimate goal: replacing boring old Windows XP desktop with shiny new Arch KDE 4 desktop. ^^

#4 2009-03-04 11:42:31

dschrute

OK, but apparently lsof is not as reliable as nmap, because nmap shows CUPS on port 631.

Sorry, not sure about this one.  I would have assumed lsof were more accurate, since it isn't relying on actually establishing a connection to a given port.
Does anything show if you the following ?

lsof -i :631

#5 2009-03-04 23:41:56

blackhole
Website

dschrute wrote:

Sorry, not sure about this one.  I would have assumed lsof were more accurate, since it isn't relying on actually establishing a connection to a given port.
Does anything show if you the following ?

lsof -i :631

Stupid me!!! Never forget your "sudo" before your "lsof"!!! *blush*

Sorry for the hassle and thanks again for the netactview tipp.

Board footer