You are not logged in.

#1 2009-03-07 06:49:16

OneEyedPimp

Pacman takes too many coffee breaks

Hello all,

I dont mean to keep posting all of these quesitons, but this one seems to be not well covered. I dont know if it was because of an update or what, but Pacman seems to be taking alot of coffee breaks. Say I do a pacman -Syu, it takes a good 5 minutes to start downloading the new DB's. Then once they are updated, it randomly does stops in the downloading process. Like it will download one package, get some coffee, forget what it was doing, realize it forgot to file its taxes, and then comes back and starts downloading the next file after it has gotten its returns. The speed is also something of an issue, and I appear to have a problem with the mirrors. On the same network, my laptop(with the bad pacman) only downloads at maybe 100 K/s, while another box on the same network downloads at several times that. That could be a hardware issue, but it was worht mentioning. Also, at work we are running an Arch machine that has its primary mirrors setup to unixheads, and I tried to do that on this machine, yet it can not connect and get any files from it. I have tried this with several different primary mirrors, and I always get an "Timeout" or "not found" error.

I am unsure what the exact problem is, but any help would be appreciated.

#2 2009-03-07 07:00:19

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

Re: Pacman takes too many coffee breaks

you could try and use rankmirrors to find out the mirrors which give good speed.

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#3 2009-03-07 08:08:35

Wintervenom

On top of hat, you should try Powerpill.  It downloads all the needed file concurrently, making the most of your bandwidth.  (Our campus Internet is throttled by connection, but, with Powerpill, I can hit up to seven megabytes a second!)

Last edited by Wintervenom (2009-03-07 08:09:12)

#4 2009-03-07 08:13:34

bangkok_manouel

out of curiosity, what's your filesysytem on /var ?

#5 2009-03-07 11:20:48

McDuck

Or just edit /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist and move those that are fast and close to you to the top, I've even uncommented every single server except those in sweden (where I am).

#6 2009-03-07 13:38:11

ktzqbp

In these cases, the problem will usually lie either with your ISP or the location you're downloading from. Try putting a different location at the top of /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist. If the same thing is still happening, try reinstalling pacman, or as suggested above, try powerpill.

#7 2009-03-07 20:10:30

Rydgel
Website

Try to disable ipv6 ? I had a problem like that.

#8 2009-03-07 21:47:48

dmartins

How are your download speeds using a web browser or wget? Try downloading a few package files from the same place pacman is grabbing them using a browser. Are the speeds the same, better, or worse?

#9 2009-03-08 01:07:21

OneEyedPimp

Hello all. Thanks for all of the responses:

I dont believe it is an ISP problem, as I have tried another computer on campus, and it blazes. Also when I went to my current location, still does the same.

I have used rank mirrors, but didnt help at all. I have also disabled IPv6.

I will look into powerpill now.

Also, my /var is ext2 I believe. It might be ext3.

The speed seems to be fine while browsing on firefox, I will try wget and report back to see if there is any discrepancies in speed.

Thank you all for you help! Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Board footer