You are not logged in.

#1 2009-03-07 10:42:39

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

wmii issues

Boy, wmii has a lot less tutorials than any other wm. Its hard to find the simple stuff too.

Anyway, I like the way wmii removes views if there are no windows associated with it. However, is there any way to name some views like 'web' or 'main'? Unlike dwm, wmii doesn't give you a default 9 views. I guess dwm has it hard coded, whereas wmii dynamically removes or adds views. I think this is the relevant section from wmiirc file

for i in 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9; do
        cat <<!
    Key $MODKEY-$i
        wmiir xwrite /ctl view "$i"
    Key $MODKEY-Shift-$i
        wmiir xwrite /client/sel/tags "$i"
!
    done

I am assuming since this is a for loop, you will have to have numbers in them. But I thought I'd still ask.

Also can someone explain the tagging rules

# Tagging Rules
wmiir write /tagrules <<!
/XMMS.*/ -> ~
/MPlayer.*/ -> ~
/.*/ -> sel
/.*/ -> 1
!

How would I start rtorrent on view 4, lets say. Will it be

/rtorrent.*/ -> 4

?

And lastly, what would be the best way to set wallpapers and or start other apps at boot? Currently I commented this line in wmiirc

xsetroot -solid "$WMII_BACKGROUND" &

and replaced it with

eval `cat $HOME/.fehbg` &

But would it be preferable to set the wallpaper in .xinitrc and even start stalonetray and skype and pidgin?

How do most users do it?

Last edited by Inxsible (2009-03-07 11:04:25)

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#2 2009-03-08 04:36:25

N30N

Re: wmii issues

Inxsible wrote:

Boy, wmii has a lot less tutorials than any other wm. Its hard to find the simple stuff too.

Indeed, there are a bunch of features that you can only find out about via the source code.

Inxsible wrote:

However, is there any way to name some views like 'web' or 'main'?

With the default config I think it's MODKEY-t to create a named view.

Inxsible wrote:

Also can someone explain the tagging rules

When a window is created wmii matches the expression on the left with `wmiir cat /client/sel/props`. The content after the arrow sets the name of the view. The exceptions are the tilde character that will make the window a float and a exclamation mark or "sel" which refers to the the current view.

Inxsible wrote:

How would I start rtorrent on view 4, lets say. Will it be

/rtorrent.*/ -> 4

?

The application needs to create a window to be use in the tagrules. If you launched rtorrent with `urxvt -e rtorrent` you could use the following.

/urxvt:URxvt:rtorrent/ -> 4

#3 2009-03-08 06:37:34

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

Thanks N30N,
I use the -name flag to name my console apps, so that I don't have to use the same tagging rules as urxvt. so I guess it would be

/rTorrent:URxvt:rtorrent/ -> 4

I will try that out.

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#4 2009-03-08 19:11:36

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

I have added entries for vlc, skype and pidgin to make them floating windows. But it does not work. wmii tiles the windows which I don't like for those apps. Here are my entries for those apps. Am I doing something wrong?

# Tagging Rules
/vlc.*/ -> ~
/skype.*/ -> ~
/pidgin.*/ -> ~

Last edited by Inxsible (2009-03-08 19:13:44)

Forum Rules

#5 2009-03-08 19:54:06

u_no_hu

VLC is not same as vlc wink

Don't be a HELP VAMPIRE. Please search before you ask.

Subscribe to The Arch Daily News.

#6 2009-03-08 22:38:52

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

u_no_hu wrote:

VLC is not same as vlc wink

Indeed. That takes care of vlc.

Last edited by Inxsible (2009-03-08 23:20:21)

Forum Rules

#7 2009-03-08 23:20:03

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

Is there any way to leave a margin of say 12px from the top, so that I can see my 1 liner conky all the time?

Forum Rules

Board footer