You are not logged in.

#1 2009-03-11 19:06:06

fungihead

Cant network with windows

I connect to the internet through a wired netgear router. there are a bunch of other computers, all windows, on my network with shared files. when i click network under places i see a "windows network" icon, i click that and see a empty window where all the computers should be.

Not sure if i need samba to get this working since i thought samba is fopr sharing not recieving. either way i have downloaded it and tried to set it up. here is my smb.conf:

[global]
        workgroup = WORKGROUP

security = share

dns proxy = no
        domain master = no
        preferred master = no

[Media]
        path = /home/glynn/Media
        browsable = yes
        read only = yes
        guest ok = yes

media is just a folder with a jpg in it so far. thing is, the windows computers cant see the samba server either.

what am i missing? arch doesnt come with some kind of fire wall does it? do i need to open ports on my router? since windows to windows sharing works fine this is kinda wierd, its like i cant connect to anything on the network, but i am on the network since i have internet access

thanks in advance

#2 2009-03-11 19:16:02

pointone
Wiki Admin

Re: Cant network with windows

Are you able to ping the Windows computers? (Ensure your LAN is properly configured.)

Are you able to access the Windows shares the "manual" way? (mount -t cifs //computername/sharename /mnt)

M*cr*s*ft: Who needs quality when you have marketing?

#3 2009-03-11 20:01:11

fungihead

Re: Cant network with windows

ping is fine

--- 192.168.1.69 ping statistics ---
3 packets transmitted, 3 received, 0% packet loss, time 2001ms
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 0.149/0.730/1.882/0.814 ms

but when trying the manual mount it just sorta hangs

Board footer