You are not logged in.

#1 2009-03-13 13:12:35

Agent69

WM Suggestions For An Evilwm Fan

I currently use Evilwm (after years of Twm use) but I am a bit bored right now and I am considering tryng some other WMs. What WMs should an Evilwm fan considering looking at? (Note: I've already tried most of the *box window managers and Dwm.)

Last edited by Agent69 (2009-03-13 13:12:50)

#2 2009-03-13 14:30:22

Berticus

Re: WM Suggestions For An Evilwm Fan

Any of the tiling window managers like xmonad, awesome, or musca. You could also give wmii or ratpoison a try.

I've been using xmonad for a while now and like it a lot. The only reason I'll be trying out dwm or musca because they're written in C. I don't like the Haskell language at all, and having a wm written in C means I could write my own extensions.

#3 2009-03-13 16:27:39

OpenBSD

Berticus wrote:

The only reason I'll be trying out dwm or musca because they're written in C.

Add scrotwm to tiling wm written in C

#4 2009-03-13 17:00:19

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

I am currently using a bunch of tiling WMs along with my Openbox setup. Musca seems to be intriguing. Dwm is nice and uses very less memory as you know. But there is very little documentation -- which is bad for a newbie like me. wmii has some issues which is why I use it very less.

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#5 2009-03-13 17:56:58

droog

fvwm if you haven't tried it is great it was based on twm, i copied evil-wm keybindings off the fvwm forum a couple years ago and still had them tongue
if you try it i would change the move 16p to something higher to have windows move as fast with the keyboard as evilwm does.

# evilwm-like keybindings for FVWM.

Mouse 1 SF Move
Mouse 2 SF Resize
Mouse 3 SF Lower

Mouse 1 W M Move
Mouse 2 W M Resize
Mouse 3 W M Lower

# Key Bindings

Key Return A CM  Exec exec xterm

# Note that the sequence 'Ctrl Alt Escape' is defined by FVWM
# to run the EscapeFunc to exit out of a stalled Wait or
# ModuleSynchronous command.  This needs redefining in lieu of the fact
# that evilwm defines this key sequence to close a window.

Key Escape A CS EscapeFunc
Key Escape A CM Close
Key Insert A CM Lower

Key H A CM Move w-16p
Key J A CM Move w+16p
Key K A CM Move w+-16p
Key L A CM Move w16p

Key H A SM Resize Direction West
Key J A SM Resize Direction South
Key K A SM Resize Direction North
Key L A SM Resize Direction East

Key Y A CM Move 0 0
Key U A CM Move 0 +0
Key B A CM Move -0 0
Key N A CM Move -0 -0
Key I A CM Module FvwmIdent
Key X A CM Maximize
Key = A CM Maximize 0 Vertical

Key F A CM Stick

Key 1 A CM GotoDesk 1
Key 2 A CM GotoDesk 2
Key 3 A CM GotoDesk 3
Key 4 A CM GotoDesk 4
Key 5 A CM GotoDesk 5
Key 6 A CM GotoDesk 6
Key 7 A CM GotoDesk 7
Key 8 A CM GotoDesk 8

Key Left A CM GotoDesk prev
Key Right A CM GotoDesk +1

#6 2009-03-13 18:19:39

Hrod beraht

Agent69 wrote:

What WMs should an Evilwm fan considering looking at?

I've looked at them all, but still keep coming back to evilwm big_smile.
Although, as a recommendation, the ones I found most intriguing (and similarly minimal to evilwm) were xmonad and ratpoison (and dwm, which you already mentioned). Xmonad isn't actually minimal in file size after you pull in all of the dependencies, but operation is. And it also dispenses with panels and such. Ratpoison is nice with the 'everything maximized by default' paradigm.

However, as interesting as tiling wm's are, I personally found the stacking ability of evilwm more advantageous. I went back to it after ratpoison also due to the fact that it had the great key combinations of Y,U,B,N which could be used to throw windows into the corners. That, along with the fact that I have all of my terminals and programs, by default, set to open up exactly 1/4 screen size means that I have pseudo-tiling too. Especially nice is when you add in the Ctrl+Alt+= to maximize a window vertically to exactly take up half the screen.

But my recommendations (other than what you mentioned) would be xmonad (which you'll probably find similar to dwm) and ratpoison. Then after a couple of days, back to evil wink

Bob

#7 2009-03-13 19:30:08

Agent69

Thanks for the suggestions! I am about to remove OpenBSD and reinstall Arch, so this is the perfect time to give new things a try. I will let you know how things go.

#8 2009-03-13 23:46:43

eerok

I used Xmonad for a while, and liked it, but then I drifted away and when I tried it again, my config had been obsoleted.  This was no small thing, because I found customizing Xmonad to be an enormous pain.  So I thought I'd look at some other tiling WMs prior to reconfiguring Xmonad.

The first one I tried was Awesome, and that's where I've stayed.  It's much easier to set up and customize than Xmonad, and it has some other features I find very useful.  There's a menu, an integrated status bar, and there's better float-handling strategies.  The differences aren't huge in themselves, but they make a huge difference in practice.  The things that I like to do at less than full screen (watch low-res movies, play mahjongg, play go, etc.) I find easier to handle with floats in Awesome.

Since I'm interested in puttering a bit with Haskell, I fully intend to get Xmonad up and running again.  Fact is, you really need to learn Haskell to get the most out of Xmonad---that or be always crying for help from those who do know it.  On the other hand, you don't need to learn anything much to configure Awesome with Lua, which uses a familiar Algol-like syntax similar to C and a million other related languages.

Anyway, those are my thoughts on tiling WMs based on my limited experience.  Actually I'm glad of this thread because it reminded me to try out Evil again---it's been a while, and back then I ended up with Openbox.  Who knows what could happen this time?  God, I love Linux and all the things you can play with ...

noobus in perpetuus

#9 2009-03-14 01:26:18

jumzi

Hmm evilWM...

i personally don't have any experince of evilWM, but if you want a recommendation i must say AwesomeWM
It comes with very sane defaults and loads of configurability. I've used xmonad, wmii and openbox mainly before staying with awesome, and i think it it combines the stuff i liked from xmonad and wmii + better support for zaphod mode (i like DRI, wich you can't have enabled with xinerama). It also uses the XCB library intsead of xlib, making it blazingly fast.

But it has crazy configurations changes in between releases, it seemes to becoming less and less, but if you don't like messing around with configuration codes... Maybe you should wait with testing it. But if you just wanna mess around and see what it has to offer cause you're boored, test it! But be warn... you might not be able to change afterwards.

jumzi

Board footer