You are not logged in.

#1 2009-03-16 18:50:04

Toke

[SOLVED] Problems with my school wlan

Hi all! smile

My problem is that I can't properly connect to my school's wlan. I have no problem finding it, as the signal strength is very good. It seems like I can't receive an IP through DHCP. The only way I can connect as it is now is to first boot WinXP and receive an IP, and then use that without DHCP in Arch. I can, also without any problems, connect to the wlan with my cell phone, an SE P1i.

Today I asked in #archlinux.se for help. I got a quickly answer that I should try to reload /etc/rc.d/network. I did that, and with surprise I saw I had received an IP. But that worked once, I have no idea why, as network were supposed to be loaded already by the time I booted.

The thing is that I can connect and receive an IP without any problem at home. My school's network doesn't use any type of encryption, nor does it hide it's essid. The only thing you need to do to use the wlan is to login on a portal which you will be redirected to. This login will last 4h...

I have tried different tools for connecting to the network. Wicd, network-manager and wifi-radar works like a charm at home, but not in school. But I couldn't get netcfg with profiles to work anywhere...

I use the iwl3945 driver. On an Amilo Si1520

If I try to run "sudo dhcpcd wlan0" I'll get:

[ean@Shuttle ~]$ sudo dhcpcd wlan0
wlan0: dhcpcd 4.0.10 starting
wlan0: waiting for carrier
wlan0: timed out

(This is the same even if I am at home, but at home I will be able to use wicd)
I was able to see the access-point respond once, only once, but I didn't get any IP.

More on... If I set an IP manually I am able to connect, but not able to login and use the network at all.

[EDIT]:
If I used this commands in this particular order it worked: (Even if the wlan was supposed to be online already...)

iwconfig wlan0 essid "essid"
ifconfig wlan0 up
dhcpcd wlan0 -A

Please help. neutral

Regards,
Toke

Last edited by Toke (2009-03-17 12:28:23)

Board footer