You are not logged in.

#1 2009-03-21 05:49:03

PaulBx1

"/etc/rc.d/network restart" doesn't quite do the trick

I was fiddling around trying to get that resolv.conf.head thing to work, but it never did copy over into resolv.conf. I finally figured that's so because I had already taken my network setup off dhcp and made it static IP. Lame... So then I just copied resolve.conf.head to resolv.conf manually, and then did a /etc/rc.d/network restart. No joy.

I then tried a reboot, and finally got the network going. So the network restart does not restart enough stuff. A bug, I guess.

I really like this notion of simplicity in "the Arch Way". However, in my opinion, network setup does not conform to it. You have scraps of commands in rc.conf, poor to no documentation about how to do a static IP setup, scripts overwriting config files for no good reason I can see (by default!), cranky to get going, etc. I mean, wouldn't be simpler just to call a script, with ifconfig and route add commands, and comments in it that give examples of those commands? That and man pages to document? OpenBSD does it better.

Sorry to nag. Just my initial impression, in case anyone is interested. Now that I've finally spent hours grinding through this, I know it. But it coulda been easier. It ain't just me either; in my searches about this there were a lot of threads of people scratching their head, wondering why resolv.conf.head doesn't do anything, or why DHCPCD_ARGS="-R -t 30 -h $HOSTNAME" only seems to work sometimes.

#2 2009-03-21 07:38:49

bangkok_manouel

Re: "/etc/rc.d/network restart" doesn't quite do the trick

#3 2009-03-21 08:04:11

tomk
Forum Fellow

Re: "/etc/rc.d/network restart" doesn't quite do the trick

Any improvements you would like to suggest are welcome. Please post them in the bugtracker.

Board footer