You are not logged in.

#1 2009-03-21 18:00:09

SirEdgar2nd

[Solved]Partitioning Dilemas

So, I've been trying to partition my Hard Drive with gparted. What I did is I seperated the drive in half basically, 80 GBs to windows XP, and the other 80 GBs is unallocated. I was told that when I tried auto-prepare the hard drive that it would tell me which HDD to use, because when partitioned it would read it as two instead of one drive but its not asking for this at all. I've never manually partitioned a drive before and almost always used auto-prepare when available. It took me a couple minutes to figure out how to use gparted, and separate a large amount of the unused space on windows into unallocated space, but now I think I must've done something wrong, so if possible can someone give me some ideas?

Summary:

1.) I played around with gparted to figure out how to move unused freespace into my unallocated space.
2.) I was told that when partitioned it should read it as 2 drives instead of one and if auto-prepare is used it should ask me which partition to use.
3.) I've never manually partitioned a HDD before, and I suspect I did something wrong.
4.) Amount of space I seperated by is by half (80 GB's XP, and 80 GB's unallocated).

neutral

If more information is needed than please ask.

Last edited by SirEdgar2nd (2009-05-29 06:49:58)

#2 2009-03-21 18:07:03

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

Re: [Solved]Partitioning Dilemas

AFAIK, if you use autoprepare, it will simply use the entire drive. it doesn't distinguish between partitions on the same drive.

If you use autoprepare on the drive which has windows, you will lose that partition

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#3 2009-03-22 10:35:55

Lone_Wolf

Sounds like the person who told you about auto-prepare thought you were going to install arch on a 2nd hardrive.

You will have to manually partition the drive, check the Beginners Guide .

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

#4 2009-05-29 06:49:40

SirEdgar2nd

Yes, that is precisely what happened.

Took me a while but I figured out how to do it manually (after a couple weeks of not doing anything, lol!)

I made 70 GBs /home and 10 Gbs / (root) 

Thank you though.

Board footer