You are not logged in.

#1 2009-03-30 10:03:36

stryder

rp-pppoe, ssh

I have been on the debian path all this while: libranet, kanotix and sidux and archlinux is my first foray off this track and so far, it's been a good experience. So good that I thought I'd try archlinux on my "server" which has a spare partition. This box is my internet gateway and handles the adsl modem. I needed samba because it is also a file server and ssh for easy administration.

Just thought I'd share some discoveries:

For whatever reason, rp-pppoe just would not work although on sidux it was a breeze. eth1="dhcp", or not, down or up, etc, nada - lights didn't even blink when I run pppoe-start.

Found http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PPP … _with_pppd and it worked! No idea why one worked and the other doesn't. But this other way is fast. So no complaints. Just a question: Eth1 has to be up before the connection is attempted, but I don't want to use dhcp as then I have to resolve the resolv.conf problem. Right now I decided to use rc.local to activate eth1 and then "pon". If there is a way to activate eth1 without eth1="dhcp" or giving eth1 a static ip via rc.conf, I'd like to know. Thanks.

SSH - I just copied the sshd_conf from my sidux install and things seemed OK, BUT when I tried to login from another computer, I had this:

PTY allocation request failed on channel 0

And the terminal hangs. Googling around, the best solution seemed to be to add this line to fstab:

none /dev/pts devpts defaults 0 0

I wonder why? Didn't need this on sidux.

Samba was a breeze. Just copied my smb.conf over.

Hope no one takes this as an attempt to compare two distros. Just wanted to share my experience (in case someone else has similar issues). I have resolved those issues but it would be nice to understand the differences as well.

Board footer