You are not logged in.

#1 2009-04-04 09:32:49

Sniffer

Arch - OpenBox - Windows Network Browser

Hi,

I'm using archlinux + openbox in my work and i'm very happy with it, performance is near awesome, ofcourse we always want more and more tongue

The only annoying thing that has nothing to do with arch is network browsing, i have read that openbox will in the near future implement a built-in network browser, i have tried pyneighborhood and xsmbrowser but really, if you have 1 share, 2 shares, ok it work...but if you go to clients and are constantly changing networks it sucks.

What i would want is something like windows \\pcname\share, login and that's it, no more no less. Nautilus is good on that regard with smb: but it's heavy on resources (i use thunar)...so fellows

Any idea...

Thanks for your time in advance.

Sniff.

#2 2009-04-04 10:23:28

rwd

Re: Arch - OpenBox - Windows Network Browser

I don't know about a gui, but browsing and connecting to a SMB share is just a matter of a few commands on the commandline:
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Acc … dows_share
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Sea … ork_shares

Last edited by rwd (2009-04-04 10:23:46)

#3 2009-04-04 10:31:31

.:B:.
Forum Fellow
Website

You might wanna give gigolo a try.

I don't know where you heard that about Openbox, but Openbox is a WM - not a DE.

* B thinks of the horror it would be.

Got Leenucks? :: Arch: Power in simplicity :: Get Counted! Registered Linux User #392717 :: Blog thingy

#4 2009-04-04 10:59:36

Sniffer

B wrote:

You might wanna give gigolo a try.

I don't know where you heard that about Openbox, but Openbox is a WM - not a DE.

* B thinks of the horror it would be.

Gigolo seems nice, i see i can create bookmarks..will test

I know Openbox is a WM but it seems that the new version will have built in network browser....i was searching to see where i have read that...but cant find....

I think like in fluxbox that comes with panel and openbox don't... i think in the new version they will include by default a network manager in openbox.

If you see XFCE (DE) don't have a network browser either...the last time i used it, i come with pyneighborhood.

Regarding command line, i prefer to have at least something like bookmarks, pick and roll, thanks anyway.

Thanks for all your help.

Sniff

Board footer