You are not logged in.

#1 2009-04-07 00:48:37

hank863

Is this a possible way to shrink my NTFS partition more?

This may be ignorant, but I would like to shrink my NTFS partition more than the Windows partitioner will allow.  It won't allow me to shrink any more because of "unmoveable files".  So, I was wondering if I could copy my entire C:/ directory onto an external hard drive, clear the NTFS partition, shrink it down, and copy and paste all the files back from the external hard drive.  I can't use my normal backup and restore ruitine because that restore my partitioning layout.  Would my idea create an unusable Windows sytem or could it work?

Last edited by hank863 (2009-04-07 00:49:08)

#2 2009-04-07 01:43:12

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

Re: Is this a possible way to shrink my NTFS partition more?

its probably not allowing you to shrink it any further because of pagefile. What is the size of your pagefile?

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#3 2009-04-07 01:45:37

hank863

I have not bothered to get overly familiar with Vista.  How would I find that out?

#4 2009-04-07 01:51:36

Ranguvar

It's a file called pagefile.sys, I think a hidden file in the root of the OS drive (usually C:\, obviously - wow, it's weird typing backslashes now xD).

#5 2009-04-07 01:54:09

hank863

My pagefile is  2.2 GB.  When I'm in windows, it says I have 70 more GB of free space on my partition, it just won't let me shrink any more.

#6 2009-04-07 05:11:22

Mektub

So, I was wondering if I could copy my entire C: directory onto an external hard drive, clear the NTFS partition, shrink it down, and copy and paste all the files back from the external hard drive.

Long story, but don' t do that. It will not work. roll

Somewhere in the Window$ configuration (right click on My Computer) you can configure it to not use a pagefile. Since I don't have Window$ I cant tell you the exact steps to achieve it,

Then remove pagefile.sys, from Arch if necessary.

Then defrag the disk with a free reasonable defrager, Goggle for "auslogics disk defrager".

Then try again to shrink the partition from within Window$.

Mektub

Follow me on twitter: https://twitter.com/johnbina

#7 2009-04-07 05:58:16

oopsicrappe

Have you tried using ntfsresize?

#8 2009-04-07 12:08:39

Mektub

In fact gparted uses ntfsresize. The problem is that XP/Vista has the nasty habit of noting the sectors, whatever,
where it is installed and will complain that the boundaries changed.

You can overcome this by having a Window$ install CD and booting from it into repair mode.

Take a look at:

http://tinyurl.com/28eol9

As an aside, perhaps a XP/Vi$ta installation under VirtualBox would spare you some trouble.

Mektub

Follow me on twitter: https://twitter.com/johnbina

#9 2009-04-07 16:26:56

perbh

I tried exactly the same as the OP - doesn't work! (sorry)

I can do the same under XP and it works fine - as long as you have a xp-cd to boot from and format the partition. As soon as it is finished formatting you can stop it by power-off and then you can use tar/whatever to copy all the files back. No problems whatsoever.

Vista seems to be a different beast alltogether - I'm not gonna touch it - ever!

#10 2009-04-07 17:10:34

R00KIE
Forum Fellow

I guess you need to do it from outside windows (using a boot cd) and maybe with proprietary programs (payed) that know how to move files around without breaking anything .... I don't know if a gparted cd will be able to do that for you.
Vista will complain after you reboot into it the first time and perform a filesystem check but then everything should be ok (but better backup all the important stuff before trying ... just in case).

R00KIE
Tm90aGluZyB0byBzZWUgaGVyZSwgbW92ZSBhbG9uZy4K

#11 2009-04-07 18:38:27

ghostHack

I found that I could not shrink the vista partition on my laptop to less than half the size with the windows tool.  When I looked at the drive with a defragging tool I saw that all the filesystem metadata was in the middle of the partition. 

However, when I rebooted after shrinking the partition as far as windows would let me I found that the metadata had been moved (presumably during the bootup process?) so that it was in the middle of the new partition space.  so with a couple of resize/reboot sequences I could shrink the partition as small as I wanted it.

Board footer