You are not logged in.

#1 2009-04-09 01:57:03

Gen2ly
Website

[Solved] Is Charter Communications Denying Linux Customers?

I've used Charter Communications to connect to the internet for the last year and rarely ever had any problems.  I left for an hour today and came back to the computer that didn't have and internet connection anymore.  I tried to ping several random addresses to no luck.  I restarted the network and was assigned an address by the dhcp server but could get no pings returned or web pages loaded.  I rebooted and got the same thing.  This was earlier this morning so I figured the network must be temporarily down so when I returned this evening, I thought "Everything should be ok now."  So I started up the computer, tried to load a web page and still no luck.  As an act of desperation, i loaded windows and low and behold, networking worked.  I thought that this was really weird that a Windows version would work and not linux.  I really like my linux install and rather not use windows.  What's going on?

Last edited by Gen2ly (2009-04-09 13:23:55)

Setting Up a Scripting Environment | Proud donor to wikipedia - link

#2 2009-04-09 02:26:14

arew264
Website

Re: [Solved] Is Charter Communications Denying Linux Customers?

When the internet is "down", can you ping 208.67.222.222 from linux?
Could you post the output of `ip addr`, `ip route`, and `cat /etc/resolv.conf` when the internet isn't working?
What are Windows's default gateway, DNS servers, and IP address?

Last edited by arew264 (2009-04-09 02:30:59)

#3 2009-04-09 03:46:14

Gen2ly
Website

I'm at work now but still no luck with being able to connect.  I thought i'd try my arch laptop too to see if there was a problem with my main arch machine.  Booted it up, connects to dhcp server, but same problem, unable to ping.  When I get back I'll post the details of resolv.conf...

#4 2009-04-09 13:23:33

Gen2ly
Website

Good news.  Got my internet back up.  Talked to tech support and turned out to be a misconfiguration on their part that wasn't allow access for linux computers.  Can't just figure out why a serverwould block just linux... guess it's ok, since its fixed now.

Board footer