You are not logged in.

#1 2009-04-14 19:57:17

masterkoppa

Installation Question

I've been a long time ubuntu user. But now I've decided to move from my comfort zone and move to something a little more bleeding edge. I always try to stay up to date and I really enjoy testing software on beta stages so I think Arch will really fit me. I have one small question before I start installing arch. I currently have a Dual-Boot setup with Ubuntu and Vista(Only for gaming and synciyng my 2g iPod Touch). The HDD is divided in equal size and a 4 GB Swap partition. I currently plan on replacing the whole Ubuntu partition and isntalling Arch on top of it, also using Ubuntu's Swap Partition. Would this be easier to do and safer than having to reformat the Ubuntu partition and going through the whole process.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

#2 2009-04-14 20:00:31

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

Re: Installation Question

Better to format it during installation as this will get rid of al the Ubuntu related files leaving you a clean slate to begin with. You won't have to re-create the partitions if you are going to use the same sizes.

Also, 4GB of Swap is waaaaaay too much in my opinion. How much RAM do you have? The old thumb rule of 2xRAM doesn't apply if you have more than 1 GB of RAM. Its just a waste of space, IMHO. As you would have noticed your swap wouldn't get hit much at all.

Last edited by Inxsible (2009-04-14 20:01:37)

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#3 2009-04-14 20:04:26

masterkoppa

When I installed Ubuntu I orriginally had only 1Gb of RAM but now I have 3Gb's, also my fear of having to reformat is an error that could leave my vista partition unaccesible, as it happened once while resizing a partition on another machine.

Would there be no risk of losing data on the Vista partition if I reformat the Ubuntu one and redo a smaller Swap?

#4 2009-04-14 20:06:26

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

masterkoppa wrote:

When I installed Ubuntu I orriginally had only 1Gb of RAM but now I have 3Gb's, also my fear of having to reformat is an error that could leave my vista partition unaccesible, as it happened once while resizing a partition on another machine.

Would there be no risk of losing data on the Vista partition if I reformat the Ubuntu one and redo a smaller Swap?

Well As long as you don't mess around with the Vista partitions, I see no reason why resizing any partitions could hose Vista. But you do need to careful and know what you are doing.

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#5 2009-04-14 20:09:20

masterkoppa

Thank you for your advise and for your quick response.

Board footer