You are not logged in.

#1 2009-04-15 03:47:19

What the Tux?

A hopeful beginner, intimidated!

Hey, I've finally gotten the courage to download and attempt an install of Arch Linux, but while reading the installation guide, I reached the section on editing the config files.  Is this necessary, and if it is, can it wait until the install if finished or something?  What I guess I mean is... how much could it hurt if the files are left as they are, and how would I go about editing them for a Compaq C554US Notebook, if anyone knows?  Sorry to have asked so much, I'm just used to LiveCD installations and feel a bit lost.

I'm not expecting an answer to be given, but maybe just for someone to point out the information on the wiki, if I missed it?  *crosses fingers*

Also, feel free to tell me if I'm hopeless and should give up!  lol

#2 2009-04-15 03:55:14

evr
Arch Linux f@h Team Member

Re: A hopeful beginner, intimidated!

First off, Welcome!
have you checked out the "Configure The System" section on the Beginner's Guide in the wiki? http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Beg … the_System
It gives alot of good information on the different configuration files and how you need to edit them.  That being said, you do need to edit them during the installation for your system to work correctly.  Feel free to ask questions if you need help with something more specific.  Best of luck.

#3 2009-04-15 03:56:44

Diospyros

It's not as intimidating as it looks; most configuration files needed very little, if any, modification when I installed Arch.

#4 2009-04-15 04:02:08

fukawi2
Ex-Administratorino
Website

What the Tux? wrote:

I reached the section on editing the config files.  Is this necessary, and if it is, can it wait until the install if finished or something?

Possibly... Although I'd venture to say probably not with a laptop. You'll certainly need to at least set a root password. It also depends how accurate the installer has been at detecting your hardware, and writing them correctly (or not)

What the Tux? wrote:

What I guess I mean is... how much could it hurt if the files are left as they are,

Your system won't boot, you'll have to boot from the LiveCD again, mount your hard drive and fix the config files anyway.

What the Tux? wrote:

and how would I go about editing them for a Compaq C554US Notebook, if anyone knows?

Can't help with that one sorry.

What the Tux? wrote:

Arch is for people who are happy to fiddle and tweak config files. If you're not willing to do it during the installation, then Arch probably is not for you as you will spend a lot of time in Arch editing config files, especially when installing new software or upgrading the system. Of course, those who "click" with "The Arch Way" quickly fall in love and find themselves addicted *raises hand*
You do know that you won't have a GUI (eg, KDE or Gnome) after installation right? That's more package installation and config file editing...

Last edited by fukawi2 (2009-04-15 04:03:46)

#5 2009-04-15 13:45:46

LeoSolaris

fukawi2 wrote:
What the Tux? wrote:

Arch is for people who are happy to fiddle and tweak config files. If you're not willing to do it during the installation, then Arch probably is not for you as you will spend a lot of time in Arch editing config files, especially when installing new software or upgrading the system. Of course, those who "click" with "The Arch Way" quickly fall in love and find themselves addicted *raises hand*
You do know that you won't have a GUI (eg, KDE or Gnome) after installation right? That's more package installation and config file editing...

I will attest to that, although once you get the files set up, usually the tweaking gets less and less. (unless of course you WANT to tweak things)

The major parts that you have to alter will be the rc.conf and for the love of all that is good, remember to set your host name properly!  (lol)

When you finish the install, either cp the arch installation guide txt to the install or have a second computer to look up the wiki with. Things rapidly get complicated otherwise. Another way is after you finish the install, (after booting it to make sure it works) boot a liveCD and make a copy of the Beginners Guide and the Official Installation Guide from the wiki.

All that said, Welcome! It gets easier after the first time, and if you never reinstall, then it gets really very easy.

I keep getting distracted from my webserver project...

huh? oooh...  shiny!

#6 2009-04-15 14:54:22

palobo

fukawi2 wrote:

+1 for an addicted user. I can't seem to get enough. I have learn't more linux in a short time messing around with arch than in a year messing with the more user friendly distros.

And yes... it does get easier the further in you are, with less editing of config files needed. I on the other hand have got my system working fine and am now dying to start tinkering with something new.

Any sugestions where to go from now?

Welcome and enjoy.

Oh, and one last thing... don't be afraid to ask. One of the best things I've found that Arch has is it's community.

Cheers,
P.

" If it aint broke... Then you're not trying hard enough! "

#7 2009-04-15 22:38:32

fukawi2
Ex-Administratorino
Website

LeoSolaris wrote:

It gets easier after the first time, and if you never reinstall, then it gets really very easy.

It always hurts a little bit the first time tongue

#8 2009-04-16 07:19:45

What the Tux?

Wow, if it really does get easier, then I'll definitely give this a try as soon as I can (meaning... when my sleep cycle is normal again)!  A very wise person suggested I try this, being the same guy who suggested I try gentoo (ouch) and later switched to Arch, himself!  I know Arch won't start with a DE, but I'm aware one can be implemented.  If I do this, will the DE be active on every login or will I have to initiate it each time?  That is just about the only other question, aside from suggestions for a good desktop environment or a sound engine (that is what that's called, right?  I didn't want to use pulseaudio or whatever that was)

Really, thanks a lot!  Now I'll just have to get around to downloading this iso (my net is awful right now @_@)

#9 2009-04-16 07:50:16

brazzmonkey

Everything you ask is in the wiki. So please read it.

what goes up must come down

#10 2009-04-16 07:52:17

Andy Mack

Just take your time with the guide and only move on when you feel comfortable, it will come to you.

You can set it up to auto login for yor DE yes.
Alsa will do everything you need I imagine.

I think it would be wise to choose either Gnome, KDE or XFCE to start off with just till you become comfortable working with Arch then when you feel ready to maybe change things around then do so.

Dont be afraid to ask what you may think are silly questions, we have all been there and to be honest have already been answered so always try searching first.

Good luck.

#11 2009-04-16 13:15:54

LeoSolaris

Ok, after all of the "Read the wiki" (Hmm   RTFW a drop in replacement for RTFM?) I'll be a little nice. (Stand back and take cover, this doesn't happen often, and I might get struck by lightening or a meteor!)

The setting things up so X starts automatically is handled by adding your login manager to rc.conf (GDM, KDM, SLiM, etc) Some users prefer to use startx rather than have the added weight of a login manager. (for those going lightweight, Gnome and KDE nearly require their respective login managers and are not 'light')

Pulseaudio is a pain in the ass. I completely agree with you there.   The other two that I know work are alsa and OSS4. It's flame-war bait to try to recommend one. (lol) The beginner guide (or was it the Install guide...  I forget now) will walk you through installing alsa, but you can search the wiki to get the install guide for OSS4.

As for DE/WM recommendations, since your used to KDE and Gnome, I would say pick between those two, and once you have everything with the basic system set up, then you can play with other options. (Openbox is really popular here.)

Just so you know, since Arch is a rolling release, it can occasionally be download intensive. When your ready for it, search the forum for powerpill. It breaks up the big packages into little segments for easier downloading before installing with pacman. (damn useful for slower connections) If you have a slow connection, do the normal install version rather than the ftp version, then when you get ready to do your first Syu, you can pick up powerpill and make the big download go a lot faster.

I keep getting distracted from my webserver project...

huh? oooh...  shiny!

#12 2009-04-16 19:43:15

What the Tux?

OMG, thanks for all this help!  So far, this info is helping me a lot!  Yeah, I'll definitely take my time with this and figure out what I'm doing first and foremost.  Now....  WIKI TIME!

Board footer