You are not logged in.

#1 2009-04-15 16:05:55

MrShlee

Installation - Choose Your Own Adventure

I've installed ArchLinux on three different devices in my home.. and each of them is slightly different due to use and hardware configuration causing me some hassles with all the different issues.

I would like to ask if people would "see any merit" in a step by step journey for a fresh installation.

The step after Install Xorg.. would branch into What Video card are you running (nvidia) (ATI) (Intel)

Common issues with hardware could be sidetracked... Do you have a Dell Inspiron? (Place PIIX as module in rc.conf to fix a known hardware issue)

This would take a bit of work.. but I could see it answering lots of common questions

#2 2009-04-15 17:57:32

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

Re: Installation - Choose Your Own Adventure

MrShlee wrote:

I've installed ArchLinux on three different devices in my home.. and each of them is slightly different due to use and hardware configuration causing me some hassles with all the different issues.

I would like to ask if people would "see any merit" in a step by step journey for a fresh installation.

This already exists. Its called the Beginner's Guide. There is also the Official Install Guide

MrShlee wrote:

The step after Install Xorg.. would branch into What Video card are you running (nvidia) (ATI) (Intel)

This is included in the above mentioned installation guides

MrShlee wrote:

Common issues with hardware could be sidetracked... Do you have a Dell Inspiron? (Place PIIX as module in rc.conf to fix a known hardware issue)

This could be of use, if lots of ppl are affected by it. But you have to remember, that are numerous makes and models of computers out there. How many are you going to list? So effectively, it will always be incomplete.

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

Board footer