You are not logged in.

#1 2009-04-17 08:46:24

Stunix
Arch Linux f@h Team Member

scp - Man In The Middle Approach?

Hello All,

I am currently attempting to sort out a backup solution for a machine that sits behind a very strict firewall. Basically computer A can only be seen by Computer B. Computer B sits on a network and can see both machine A and C.

What I need is for computer B to initiate an scp to get files from computer A and put them on computer C.

A simple scp doesn't work as I would imagine as it tries to get Computer A and Computer C to talk to each other directly which doesn't work due to firewall rules (which I cannot change):

scp user@computerA:/files user@computerC:/files

I was hoping someone here might be able to point me in the direction of an scp cmd line switch to force the transfer to go through computer B. I am assuming this is possible but the scp man page has confused me slighty.

Is tunneling perhaps what I am looking for?

I look forward to your responses,
Stunix

#2 2009-04-17 09:11:28

Xyne
Administrator/PM
Website

Re: scp - Man In The Middle Approach?

Take a look at the TCP Port Forwarding section of this page: http://www.suso.org/docs/shell/ssh.sdf
I hope that helps (I was happy to find that I still had the page bookmarked... still haven't used it myself).

Last edited by Xyne (2009-04-17 09:11:40)

My Arch Linux StuffForum EtiquetteCommunity Ethos - Arch is not for everyone

#3 2009-04-17 09:48:48

Wilco

1. you can copy it to a pipe and pipe that output to computer c (don't know if that actually works)
2. Save the files on B, then copy them to C. Afterwards delete them from B.

#4 2009-04-17 09:58:03

Ramses de Norre

Two words: ssh tunneling.

Board footer