You are not logged in.

#1 2009-04-19 21:36:23

DrTankMC

GNOME - Screensaver settings don't obey, CPUFREQ wont work

Hello I installed Arch w/gnome on my laptop the other day and i'm having a few issues.  Firstly, the screensaver activates when the computer is idle for about 10 minutes.  I have changed every setting in gnome and i've even disabled the screensaver and it's still happening and i have to enter my password.  I've also disabled all of the "dim brightness" settings and my screen goes dim after about 5 minutes and slows things down.

Secondly, I've setup CPU scaling according to the wiki and i have the monitor applets working in the top panel.  I modified my rc.conf so that the default setup is "on demand".  I can select from ondemand or performance for each of my 2 processors.  The problem with that is that the applets do not "spike up" to green as they did on Ubuntu.  I can clearly see Compiz effects going very slow while this ondemand setting is used.  In ubuntu the monitors would spike up all the time whenever i did anything, but on arch i rarely see them go up at all no matter what i'm doing.  I tested Compiz animations with both processors on performance and everything is smooth.

My guess is that i need to configure a file for the ondemand setting.  Any suggestions would be appreciated, thanks.

Long live the Organization for the Organized!!!

Ich möchte die Tomatensuppe!

#2 2009-04-20 04:32:24

DrTankMC

Re: GNOME - Screensaver settings don't obey, CPUFREQ wont work

I just realized that the gnome battery monitor applet is not working either.  I've been running on battery for about an hour now, and it says 99% charged.  I just plugged in the AC power and it says "charging - 47%" which seems right.

#3 2009-04-20 05:38:20

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

its a known problem with gnome-screensaver. Search the forums. There are multiple threads for the issue. Most ppl are making do with xscreensaver for the time being.

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#4 2009-04-20 16:54:51

DrTankMC

Ok, thanks for that info.  Anyone know anything about the battery monitor or the CPUfreq issue?

#5 2009-04-21 03:17:21

tung
Website

I'm getting the same problem with the battery indicator: while discharging, the indicator doesn't update, but it does when it's charging. It only started happening after upgrading gnome-power-manager to 2.26.0-1.

My netbook's LED accurately reflects the battery state, as does /proc/acpi, so the GNOME applet or something it uses is probably the culprit.

Running Arch on Eee PC 901 12 GB

Board footer