You are not logged in.

#1 2009-04-26 12:20:09

harumph

[SOLVED] Cannot connect to net on wired connection with new install

Hello and sorry if this should be in newbie corner. I am all out of answers for this problem. I am not using a router, just plugged straight into a cable modem. I have built a new computer and am using an ASUS P6T motherboard with the realtek 8111 ethernet chip. The only OS I have installed is arch 64 from the 2009.02 core ISO. I tried loading the ftp ISO but no luck because no net connection.  I have read that the linux kernel will use the r8169 driver and this does not work so I have followed the instructions and loaded the r8168 driver from realtek's site and removed the r8169. I have configured everything per the beginners wiki, and still no luck getting online. eth0 shows up with "ifconfig -a" and it shows I am using the r8168 driver with "lspci -v". If you need anymore info let me know. I am really frustrated because I built the computer I've always wanted solely for use with arch 64. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by harumph (2009-05-01 20:14:09)

#2 2009-04-26 13:14:42

Mektub

Re: [SOLVED] Cannot connect to net on wired connection with new install

harumph,

I have no experience with the realtek 8111 , but still:

I suppose that you are using DHCP to get a valid IP from your ISP.

I also have a cable modem and if I change the device connected to it I have to switch the modem Off and On,
because it acquires the MAC address when booting up and will refuse connection for a new device until powered down/up.

It would help if you paste your /etc/rc.conf.

Mektub

Follow me on twitter: https://twitter.com/johnbina

#3 2009-04-29 05:08:23

harumph

Re: [SOLVED] Cannot connect to net on wired connection with new install

Mektub wrote:

harumph,

I have no experience with the realtek 8111 , but still:

I suppose that you are using DHCP to get a valid IP from your ISP.

I also have a cable modem and if I change the device connected to it I have to switch the modem Off and On,
because it acquires the MAC address when booting up and will refuse connection for a new device until powered down/up.

It would help if you paste your /etc/rc.conf.

Mektub

Wow, that was it. Thank you so much. Sometimes a solution is so simple that you overlook it. Now if I can only get X to work hmm

Board footer