You are not logged in.

#1 2009-04-26 15:32:12

kagutsuchi713
Website

[SOLVED] "Interface wlan0 is not a wireless interface"

After pacman -Syu'ing, I cannot connect to my wireless network anymore.  The connection worked fine before - WPA encryption, connecting with netcfg.  But now any time I try to connect I get this error from netcfg.  The funny thing is though, it's stopped working on Vista as well.

As far as I can tell neither Arch nor Vista are recognizing my wireless card (I forget the exact name of it since I can't even find it on my computer, but it's a Broadcom card that I use the b43 module with).  It's not listed by Vista in the device manager and it's not listed in Arch via lspci.

I've tried cutting the firmware again, which doesn't change anything.  The b43 module gets loaded fine and reloads fine.  It's just that the device isn't recognized and so it can't create the wlan0 interface for some reason.  I haven't changed any hardware and I don't use the laptop for any intensive tasks so I don't think it would have overheated.

I've been at this for about 3 days searching the forums, the wiki, and Google and couldn't find anything.  So what could be the problem?  Did the card fail or am I just being incredibly dense?

Thanks,
kagut

PS. If this really belongs in Kernel/Hardware Issue sorry for posting it here!

Last edited by kagutsuchi713 (2009-04-27 17:14:34)

#2 2009-04-27 15:39:21

ichbinesderelch

Re: [SOLVED] "Interface wlan0 is not a wireless interface"

sounds like your wireless card made all the way up to heaven or if its a desktop pc maybe the card kinda managed to pop out the pcislot, any lamp blinking on the back of the card?

#3 2009-04-27 15:41:54

wimac
Website

or the driver might have changed the device name like /dev/ath0 or something like that what kind of wireless card do you have?

.wimac

//screenshots//configs//

#4 2009-04-27 17:14:06

kagutsuchi713
Website

After some more research I've found the answer - my laptop is one of those affected by a faulty HP motherboard.  Seems that after the network card other parts will begin failing... HP should be sending a free replacement, so hopefully that one will be better.

Thanks for the help. smile

Board footer