You are not logged in.

#1 2009-05-01 09:17:10

K0tuk

[Solved]Question about partitioning

Hi!

I`ve installed Arch, but made a bit of mistake when partitioning my HDD. I`ve made 4 primary partitions: swap, /, /var and /home. Now i`ve got ~200Ggb of free space left on my HDD, but i can`t create a partition, since the primary partition limit is reached. So i thought of deleting the /var partition ( only 7Ggb ), creating the extended partition on those 200Ggb, and creating three partitions there: two for my own needs and a /var partition. My question is: will Arch recognize the /var partition on the extended one as his own? Or will i mess things up?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by K0tuk (2009-05-03 16:38:25)

#2 2009-05-01 09:39:39

DonVla

Re: [Solved]Question about partitioning

K0tuk wrote:

Hi!

I`ve installed Arch, but made a bit of mistake when partitioning my HDD. I`ve made 4 primary partitions: swap, /, /var and /home. Now i`ve got ~200Ggb of free space left on my HDD, but i can`t create a partition, since the primary partition limit is reached. So i thought of deleting the /var partition ( only 7Ggb ),

why don't you simply extend your home partition with gparted?

K0tuk wrote:

creating the extended partition on those 200Ggb, and creating three partitions there: two for my own needs and a /var partition. My question is: will Arch recognize the /var partition on the extended one as his own?

sure, if you make an entry in /etc/fstab. afaik, there is no user noticeable difference between primary/extended partitions (the differences are only of technical nature, eg you cannot make a extended swap partition).
wikipedia knows it all: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disk_partitioning

vlad

#3 2009-05-01 09:56:23

K0tuk

why don't you simply extend your home partition with gparted?

I don`t want my data to depend on OS partitions.

sure, if you make an entry in /etc/fstab

Ok, i`ll do that! Thanks for reply smile

#4 2009-05-03 09:13:43

fukawi2
Ex-Administratorino
Website

You could even prevent loss of data (eg, your pacman cache, logs etc) by using CloneZilla LiveCD to backup your /var and then restore it after.

Board footer