You are not logged in.

#1 2009-05-04 23:09:48

ckristi

2 ISPs and dhcpcd

Hi,

I have a question that makes me not sleep at this moment (lots of google search without relevant answers). I just acquired a new Internet connection fron another ISP. So, now I have 2 connections to my gateway. I'm trying to build failover routing by using a tutorial found on the net. That tutorial and countless others assumes the IP addres/ Gateway are static. Unfortunately both my addresses are dynamically set using dhcpd. Is it possible to create a failover router with such a configuration, and if yes... how?
Oh, here are the tutorials that I've read and puzzled me because of no mentions about dynamically allocated ips:
http://www.muug.mb.ca/pipermail/roundta … 00872.html
http://www.linux.com/feature/113988

In love I believe and in Linux I trust

#2 2009-07-04 20:32:54

nmodlin

Re: 2 ISPs and dhcpcd

Well I dont know about setting one up on a server but i do know they make specific routers for this.  Can't remember what they are called i think they had fire in the name but that is all i know

And God created the Open Source Programming Community, and it was good. Satan retaliated with its evil twin, Windows and thus the battle for good and evil has begun.

#3 2009-07-04 21:58:10

ckristi

Re: 2 ISPs and dhcpcd

Well, the newest dhcpcd package (5.x) made my life easier by putting up both gateways as default gateways. So, when one of the links goes down, the other is used. Now, because I wanted some traffic to take specific routes, I set up static routes for metropolitan access. I have now trouble with the setting up of the return path of the packages. What I mean is that I want packages that came through first out interface to go back on the same interface, regardless of the static routes. Nothing found with google helped 'till now. Anyone knows how to do this?

In love I believe and in Linux I trust

Board footer