You are not logged in.

#1 2009-05-15 23:51:43

dhave
Arch Linux f@h Team Member

Turn your old WAP54G access point into a nice universal repeater

If you have an old Linksys WAP54G access point lying around, you can turn it into a nice repeater even if you don't use a Linksys wifi router.

The stock firmware in the WAP54G supports only Linksys routers for repeater and bridge functions, but if you upload the very nice DD-WRT firmware (at your own risk, etc.) from here and then configure your reborn device as described here, you can get around the proprietary block built in by Linksys.

I wouldn't do this with a critical device or one that's still under warranty (if indeed there are any still under warranty), but if you're like me and you have a growing collection of network gadgets in your closet, you might be able to blow an afternoon and have a little fun.

I haven't tested to see if the effective range is actually extended or boosted -- probably not boosted, but just relayed -- but certainly I connect to a much stronger signal than when I had to pick up my wifi signal from the other side of my home.

Plus, I had the immense satisfaction of circumventing a manufacturer's proprietary restrictions on the use of purchased hardware.

Donate to Arch!

Tired? There's a nap for that. --anonymous

#2 2009-05-16 00:55:16

my0pic

Re: Turn your old WAP54G access point into a nice universal repeater

dhave wrote:

Plus, I had the immense satisfaction of circumventing a manufacturer's proprietary restrictions on the use of purchased hardware.

I felt the same way when I jailbroke my iPhone. big_smile

Board footer