You are not logged in.

#1 2009-05-16 08:58:42

leftylink

Unable to associate with a network?

Hello all,

Having some troubles with a Broadcom wireless card.
There are two networks I connect to. The first is protected by WPA, and I set a static IP on this one. The second network is unencrypted and I use DHCP on that one.

I have set up a netcfg profile to make connecting to the first network easier, and have one for the second too, but usually just do it manually (I have the relevant commands aliased so they are easy to type).

The problem occurs when I first connect to the WPA network, and then attempt to switch to the unsecured network. All of my connection attempts fail. iwconfig wlan0 reports that my essid is "off/unassociated" and dhcpcd is stuck at the "waiting for carrier" stage. I have to restart to be able to connect to the unsecured network.

Right after I have restarted my computer, connecting to the unsecured network works fine. Connecting to the WPA network also works fine after a restart. It even works if I first connect to the unsecured network and then switch to the WPA network. But never has it worked when I switch from the WPA network to the unsecured one.

Is there any explanation for this? Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

#2 2009-05-16 11:19:07

tomk
Forum Fellow

Re: Unable to associate with a network?

Are you bringing down the wpa profile before attempting to connect to the other network? 'man netcfg' for full details, or '/etc/rc.d/net-profiles stop' if you're starting it from rc.conf DAEMONS.

Board footer