You are not logged in.

#1 2009-05-18 22:55:34

k_odoma

Mediawiki, mysql, php? problems [SOLVED]

On Sunday my Arch install that is hosted by Slicehost became unresponsive to them so they had to do an emergency reboot. After it came back up my install of mediawiki was (and still is) only returning a blank page (at least in Firefox). After some digging I found out that part of the problem was that mysqld wasn't starting so I managed to get that fixed by commenting out the lines relating to innodb and putting in skip-innodb into my.cnf. But I'm still getting a blank page.

According to Mediawiki's manual, "A blank white page indicates a PHP error which isn't being printed to the screen." They give two lines to put into LocalSettings.php to force error messages but after doing that I'm still getting a blank page. Changing display_errors in php.ini to ON didn't have any effect.  When I load the wiki in Safari I get the following error: "Got java.io.EOFException (Server closed connection while sending the HTTP header.): http://some_url.com/mediawiki/index.php/Main_Page". I have no idea what this error means and googling java.io.EOFException doesn't bring up anything very helpful. My PHP Test Page indicates that PHP is up and running.

Any ideas on fixes or where I can find more clues?

[EDIT]
Mysql was definitely the root of the problems with Mediawiki. I tried nearly every suggestion listed in the forums for fixing a mysql install that wouldn't start but nothing worked. I even completely uninstalled mysql and reinstalled it but it still refused to start. I switched over to postgresql and switched mediawiki to run with that. Problem solved.

Last edited by k_odoma (2009-05-23 01:48:35)

Board footer